How can I measure Kanban metrics in next-gen projects?

Darren Lyons October 23, 2018

I'd like to be able to see metrics like duration in each column, lead time, cycle time etc. when using a kanban board in a next-gen projects? When I enable reports in the features and go to the report sections I only see burnup and velocity reports which both require sprints. Would love to use the next-gen project for the simplicity and independence but need to have metrics to know if we're continuously improving.

9 answers

4 votes
eren July 28, 2020

This is completely ridiculous that it's been 2 years and JIRA is still "keen to learn about use cases"

Are you serious?

The #1 metric on any KANBAN project is to track cycle times. It's like KANBAN 101. Just google if in doubt.

Sergio Schüler September 3, 2020

Jira Next-Gen is a funny affair: it has the same terrible UX of Jira, but now without any of the features, like cycle time reporting.

Those PMs are crushing it :joy:

0 votes
Chris Boys July 27, 2021

Hi @Darren Lyons@shyma_nair , @Kieran Wilson @nancy.evbuomwan 

We've newly listed a team performance summary for teams running Kanban on next gen. 

Lead and Cycle time are the key, clearly.  We also give teams observability into other design and build metrics such as completion rate and stability. Others are on their way.  We show outliers relative to your 'usual' or rolling rate of performance, being median and range from your last 6 intervals.

If you're on Bitbucket, we can also unlock insights into your team's review practices.  

We're still early stages, so I'd love your thoughts if this. Discount codes available if you want to continue after your free trial - just ping me on when you're inside our product.

Cheers, Chris

0 votes
Chris Sumedca October 14, 2020

Been waiting for control chart too. Spreadsheets are just awful

George Mihailoff October 14, 2020
0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2020

Hi @Darren Lyons

Try our app Great Gadgets.

It offers 10 useful gadgets, including gadgets specific to Kanban: Cycle Time or Lead Time, Control Chart, Kanban velocity, WBS, burndowns., field sum-up. They are based on boards (including next-gen) or issue filters and are fully customizable. See some examples.

KanbanVelocityGadget.png

ControlChartGadget.png

CycleTimeTrendGadget.png

For a full metrics offered by the app, see this article: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Building-a-powerful-Kanban-dashboard-in-Jira-with-Great-Gadgets/ba-p/1664331

Danut

0 votes
Patrick Loney November 7, 2019

How is the work going? Is there a list of reports you're working on? A way to be notified as reports are released?

For me, I'd love a story point based velocity report. Also a way to compare custom fields in cards completed in the same release.

Patrick Loney November 7, 2019

Also story points on bugs, story points on features etc per release

shyma_nair February 11, 2020

Hi Team, I am new to the community. Just curious if there is any update on the kanban reports in the next-gen projects ? 

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 23, 2019

Hello @Darren Lyons

Our team at OBSS created Time in Status app for reporting on durations of workflow statuses (and more). It is available for Jira Cloud, Server and Data Center.

Using Time in Status you can report how much time each issue spent on each status, each assignee or even each user group (useful for identifying bottlenecks and improvements in your process). 

You can also see the number of times each status or transition was used (very useful for inspecting reopen counts). Finally you can also create reports on the dates of each issue status transition.

You can produce reports based on the default 24/7 calendar or define your own business calendars with custom workdays and working hours.

Also add system or custom fields as columns to your report and customize the view format of durations.

All data can be exported as XLS, XLSX, CSV.

Emre Toptancı

OBSS

0 votes
james.rooney June 19, 2019

Whilst this is being built... i find using google sheets jira add on can quickly get metrics out of projects if you need!

Kieran Wilson June 26, 2019

I've never used that plugin, could be super helpful. Installed and will have a crack - thanks @james.rooney !

Like james.rooney likes this
james.rooney June 27, 2019

Feel free to let me know what you do with it :)

0 votes
Alejandro Guzman May 21, 2019

One year later... are u keep working on it? its so useless next gen project without that

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2019

Hi Alejandro,

We are just kicking off work on kanban reports. Can you elaborate on which reports are important to you?

Kieran Wilson June 17, 2019

I'll just jump in here, as I've migrated to team adopting Kanban and looking to optimise their throughput (Google brought me here).

Ideally, we need to measure cycle team, review outliers etc. etc.

The existing Control Chart would be the most helpful, or a reimagining of review and improving cycle time.

Cumulative Flow is not particularly important.

I would be more than happy to beta test anything, as access to this reporting is critical to teams in my area adopting kanban and optimising work flowing through their system.

Like # people like this
Simon Hilton (Contractor) July 23, 2019

Cycle Time, Card age, Throughput

Preferably broken down by work type which we could mark via labels as different work types could have different cycle times etc. 

Like # people like this
Chris_Leonard February 20, 2020

I second the comment that we need throughput and cycle time for kanban projects (like the control chart). This request has apparently been WIP for awhile - when is it coming?

0 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2018

Thanks for the question @Darren Lyons. We will be building out kanban specific reports/metrics in the future, although we've got a few big features to get through before we'll get to these (work breakdown, workflow configuration)

nancy.evbuomwan April 3, 2019

That's unfortunate as it basically makes the next-gen feature useless for those working with the Kanban Methodology.

Like # people like this
Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
June 2, 2019

Hi @nancy.evbuomwan

We are working on shipping some kanban report(s) in the coming quarter. Can you elaborate on which reports your teams needs and how you work in particular? That will help us understand your use-cases.

Brent Arias June 16, 2019

It would be useful to compute story-point velocity, either as a sliding "sprint-sized" window or as-if fixed iterations/sprints had been applied (even though they are not applied in Kanban).

It may also be helpful if an Epic/Feature could be given an estimated total story-point size (e.g. 250 story points) and then as stories are assigned to the epic and completed, a report could show "percentage complete of epics."  Likewise the epics could be given a field designed to capture the risk of schedule slip.  This could be done by capturing a subjective 1 to 10 "schedule validation confidence score" the team currently has regarding how "on schedule" they believe the epic is in relation to the "epic percent complete."  This means that a "percentage complete of epics" might show an epic being 66% done...but the schedule validation confidence score the team gave to the epic might only be a 4 on a 1 to 10.  The confidence score could correlate to color coding found in this overall report, possibly causing certain epics to "show red".

Another variant would be to skip the whole "total story-point size" idea, but keep the "schedule validation confidence score" which is subjectively assigned according to what the team(s) have presently experienced for velocity, and what is indicated for the completion date.  This leads to the next thought.

Aside from reports, it would also be super helpful if the "Roadmap" of epics allows epics to be in a backlog (no dates yet assigned) and otherwise some ability to color-code the epics according to either status or according to the subjective schedule validation "confidence score" given by the team(s) contributing to the epic.

Felix Bender June 18, 2021

@Ivan Teong Just following up on the development of this feature. We are also super interested in it, but this thread looks extremely sad.

Dan Churchill July 1, 2021

"That will help us understand your use-cases."

I love how Atlassian is effectively asking why a team running Kanban needs cycle time, lead time and WIP limits. This is like a car mechanic asking why you need a steering wheel or tyres.

Seriously, is the nextgen project run by a junior PM that has never worked in an Agile environment?

NG projects don't support kanban and only support a rudimentary version of Scrum. They're pretty useless IMO.

Like Simon Wraight likes this
George Mihailoff July 27, 2021

There is now a native CFD chart. For other views/metrics, check out our app that works for next-gen projects https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218809/quantify it has Cycle Time, Card Age, Throughput, etc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events