Custom Boards <-> Estimates

Deleted user May 15, 2019

I need the ability to configure my view for my next-gen project.  There aren't custom boards in next-gen projects for some reason, and not even real configuration options for the single board we're given.  What I was told to do is create a classic project to store my boards, configure boards to view tasks for my next-gen project, and go that way. So I did.

But estimates between next-gen and classic projects aren't compatible.  Classic projects use a field called "Story Points" and next-gen projects use a field called "Story Points estimate".  So there's no way to make story points visible in my custom board.

Is there any way to solve this, either make my next-gen board configurable, or make next-gen story points display correctly in my classic board?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

Hello Stephen,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

The Next-gen template is a new beta feature of JIRA created to be a simpler and "straight to the point" solution for those customers who felt overwhelmed by the complexity of  JIRA classic templates.

That been said, the limitations of this template design are intended and our development team is still improving some features to better work based on the customer's feedback.

Answering your both suggestions:

1 - Make next-gen board configurable - There are several feature requests to implement some of the features available in the classic boards. Here are some:

Add "Board settings" to next-gen projects

Ability to configure board filters for next gen project

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestions to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

You can create new feature requests or search for others at jira.atlassian.com.

2 - Make next-gen story points display correctly in the classic board - As you mentioned, Next-gen and classic projects use completely different estimations, Epic/Parent links, workflow settings, and many other features. Making both project type sync to use the same features would not be a strategy since they are intended to work in different ways.

That being said, I think the best option for you to keep using the features available in the classic template would be to create a new Classic project and migrate your next-gen issues to it, as described in the documentation below:

Migrate between next-gen and classic projects

P.S: Report data won't be saved from next-gen projects once you perform the migration. Even though your issues will be retained, data for your project's Velocity and Burnup reports won't transfer over and will be lost.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events