Automation error: No parent issue to get assignee

Tobias Kaufmanas June 17, 2020

I have made a project rule in a next-gen Jira project, that assigns sub-tasks to the assignee of the parent issue.

The rule runs successfully, but in the audit log, it says "No parent issue to get assignee".

Capture.PNG

The subtask does have a parent, and the parent issue has an assignee to copy.

Capture2.PNG

Is this a bug, or is the parent-child link somehow broken?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2020

Hello @Tobias Kaufmanas

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, Jira Next-gen projects have a different architecture than Classic projects, so some functions in Jira automation might not work as expected as explained in the Bug issue reported below:

NextGen Software projects are fairly broken in cloud automation 

However, the link between sub-tasks and parent issues seems to be working fine in the automation of Next-gen projects. I tested it with the following rule and updated the sub-tasks issues just as expected:

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 16.34.08.png

That being said, in order to further investigate what can be causing the behavior you are facing, could you please provide us the complete rule you configured and test if the rule above works for you?

Tobias Kaufmanas June 22, 2020

Hi Petter.

Here is the rule I tried:

Capture3.PNG

When I look at the history panel, I can see that the parent gets assigned after the issue creation:

Capture5.PNG

I am suspecting that maybe the rule is run before the parent gets set, when using the "Add a child issue" button, then there won't be a parent to copy from yet?

The rule you attached is working when commenting the parent issue, then the subtasks get assigned, so the link seems to work.

Thanks for looking into this.

- Tobias

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2020

Hello @Tobias Kaufmanas

Thank you for the screenshot provided.

Your logic is completely correct: The rule is run before the parent gets set in the subtask, and this is causing the rule to fail.

To fix this behavior, you must add the action "Re-fetch issue data" to the rule before the final action:

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 14.52.56.png

Let us know if it works for you.

Suggest an answer