After migrating from classic to next-gen, I can't bulk assign Stories/Tasks to Epics

BG June 9, 2019

1. I go to advanced search and filter by label

2. I click to bulk change issues

Messages Image(3389953107).png

3. Select all issues > Edit Issues > And then scroll down to either "Change Epic Link" or even Change Parent Link (Change parent link as no actionable things to click on just has the text "Choose a parent to assign this issue to."

I don't know what to do at this point. How do I bulk edit parent links?

2 answers

5 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2019

Hi @BG , I am adding a new answer here in order to avoid confusion.

Since I was able to reproduce the reported behavior I have created a new bug ticket for this:

I have also found a workaround that you can use to set the epic link for the issues that are already in Done status:

If you want to update issues that are already in "Done" status instead, you can then use the below workaround. However please keep in mind that it is using an internal endpoint not officially documented/supported and this workaround might stop working without prior notice:

Send a POST request to the REST API endpoint https://INSTANCE.atlassian.net/rest/internal/simplified/1.0/projects/PROJECT-ID/issues/EPIC-ID/children providing a list of issue-ids in the request body.

Example:

• IDs of the issues to be updated: 10405, 10203
  • Project ID: 10303
  • Epic ID: 10519
  • Curl command to set the Epic (10519) as a parent to the desired issues (10405 ,10203). Please replace all the things in CAPITAL with the proper values:
    curl -D- -u EMAIL:API_TOKEN -H "Accept: application/json" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{ "issueIds" : ["ISSUE-ID-1", "ISSUE-ID-2"] }' -X POST https://INSTANCE.atlassian.net/rest/internal/simplified/1.0/projects/PROJECT-ID/issues/EPIC-ID/children

In order to get the list of issue-id to update you can:

1. Run a search to get the list of issues to update
  2. Switch to the list view
  3. Select to display only the issue-key column and export to CSV current columns only. This way you get a CSV file that only contains issue-key and issue-id. You can parse this file in many different ways to just get a coma separated list of issue-ids surrounded by double quotes

For details on how to authenticate REST API calls using API TOKENS please refer to the API tokens documentation page.

Please review the bug ticket, vote for it and add yourself as a watcher to be updated on the status. Also, let me know if you need any help with the workaround.

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2019

Hi @BG ,

It looks like you are facing the known bug tracked as:

In the workaround section it says:

Use multi-select on the board or the backlog to bulk assign stories to epics

Can you kindly test if this works?

Also, please vote for the above bug and set yourself as a watched in order to receive updates on the fix for this issue.

Cheers,
Dario

BG June 11, 2019

@Dario B this does work but my problem is I need to use the advanced search because I am targeting tasks/stories that are already marked as DONE.

The above is not the bug I am referring to because that notes that you can still see the Epic's. I don't see ANY. It shows me 0 in the list.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
June 12, 2019

@BG  I am able to reproduce the issue and I believe that either the bug behavior changed due to  some updates or this is a different bug. 

Indeed, what I see is the following:

• If I try to bulk edit the epic link, I get 3 fields to do so (that's already wrong) and, however, none of them is having anything in the drop-down menu but a "no matches":
    Cannot-change-epic-link.jpg

• If I try to edit one issue at the time then everything works fine:
    Can-change-epic-link-one-at-the-time.jpg

Please bear with me. I am going to discuss this with our internal teams in order to determine whether this is a new bug or  a change of behavior of the already mentioned one and to see if we can find a workaround. 

In the meanwhile, can you confirm you get as well 3 entries for the epic link field in the bulk update screen? 

Dario

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events