What's the future with next-gen projects for Admin?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2018

I know that the next-gen projects is only available for Cloud users for now, as I know that in cloud there isn't much for an Admin to do. What will be the tasks left for a JIRA admin once next-gen projects are moved to server versions?

3 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2018

I will be surprised if next-gen comes to server anytime soon if ever and even if it does it will not replace other project templates. Next-gen has come a long way from what i have seen though I still do not use the template officially. I continue to play with it primarily associated w/ answering questions within the Community. I do like the simplicity of it but I still find it rather limited which I suspect is going to change w/ time.

Long story short the Jira admin function will not go away for a long time. As well with server there will always be a system admin function.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

@Jack BrickeyThank you for clarifying as I was really confused and wasn't sure if down the road our jobs will be needed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

I'm with @Jack Brickey on this.  The direction for Cloud is for teams who don't want to have any administrative overhead, and can set up and run it all for themselves.  The direction for Server is more for Data Centre, where you run it yourself, set up a lot of shared things (and hence want centralised admin) and have the resources for dedicated admin.

But even with the increasing delegation we see more in Cloud, I suspect you're always going to want an admin around, even if the role shifts more to someone who does more advice, advocacy and troubleshooting than configuration work.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

Agree and I think the 'cloud admin' may become more of a SME or power user that can help others in getting started or cleaning up messes.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-Thank you for your input! I just noticed that on the article I read there is an option to switch to classic projects. I missed it earlier

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2018

Yup, my thoughts too. It's the classic balance of central configuration for better global reporting versus letting each team do what they want. Different companies will always want different approaches to all their tools, not just Jira

Philipp Herzig October 4, 2018

It should be the ultimate goal to completely eliminate the administration work, imo.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2018

Can't happen.  Jira is extensively used for processes that need to be controlled and not just let everyone do their own thing.  If controlled projects go away (and hence the admins), then most of Jira's market goes away too.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2018

I agree that relying solely on over-simplification (?) would open the door to competitors. Analogy - there are "Apple" lovers and "non-Apple" lovers out there. Granted Apple is doing very well but the other side is doing pretty well too. :-)

p.s. I'm an Apple user.

I think Atlassian is exactly on the right track with this new approach. They let you choose exactly the level of complexity you need for a project and it starts with the most basic setup. This way you will never have more complexity than needed. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2018

I agree that the approach is right, when you let people own their projects, start simple and build, so that they don't just add things because they're there.  But, we will still need the admins to manage the shared designed projects

I think so too. But I guess the amount of work needed to manage shared designed projects will drastically decrease over time. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events