Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the options for using "Components" in NextGen projects?

Frances Moncrief September 28, 2020

What are the options for using "Components" in NextGen projects?

3 comments

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2020

Frances,

I haven't tried components in a NextGen project as I am not a big fan of them due to it's simplicity and lack of reconfigurability.

Still, I think you may be able to use them as I describe below although I don't know how well or even if either of my examples would work.

We use components in our system to direct an issue to a group. It isn't the most elegant solution but in our system, we have a company-wide issue tracker that the lead team that will be asked to handle the issue is determined by using components. This field is then used to reassign it to the lead of that team who can make the determination of how it will proceed.

I've decided to try using within a new classic KanBan project to break up a huge board that has 13 columns which is way too busy and unwieldy. The project will have five components to break it up into a more manageable system.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2020

@Frances Moncrief Hey, Frances! I'm going to go ahead and move this to the Next-gen collection, so you may get the best possible answers.

Frances Moncrief September 28, 2020

Thanks Erica!

Gauresh September 29, 2020

We tried setting up similar functionality by using release/versions for one of our projects. We setup different releases for different 'components' and identify epics/stories under right release by setting up versions on issues. It complicated things, but provided similar approach as that of components from classic projects.

If there is no reporting requirement, custom field, or label is another option to categorize issues.

But then, introducing components like breakup to next-gen project defies the purpose of the project type itself. Next-gen setup is for easy to setup, short, nimble projects. If project scope is huge, and you really need features like components, my suggestion would be to consider defining project as classic project, and invest few hours into project configuration.

There is an open request to add feature to next-gen projects. If it is popular requirement, maybe it will get introduced for next-gen projects as well in future release. Here is the link : JSWCLOUD-17601

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events