Managing recurrent tasks with Jira

Albert Alemany August 29, 2019

Hello everybody!

Our team has been using Jira for the past few months to manage our software projects.

We were wondering, however, if there was any functionality that allowed you to create recurring tasks.

Particularly, the most common use case in our company is that we will have weekly/monthly jobs that will need to be done for our clients.

We are looking for a way to manage that, so that everyone in our team is aware of the due projects of the current week/month, if any of the tasks is at risk, if the deadline of a specific task has changed, etc.

As those tasks will be the same week over week (and month over month), ideally we wouldn't want to have to add them manually every time.

Does any of you guys know of a solution for that? Thanks a lot in advance!

2 comments

Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2019

Hello, we've done something like this recently, albeit on a server version.

Basically, there's a simple select custom field which describes the period (daily, weekly, monthly, annual, every monday, every tuesday etc), another date field for Deadline and a basic workflow (Open -> In Work -> Closed).

Every morning there runs a ScriptRunner's escalation service which looks for a Closed tasks with non-empty period field and reopens them with updating the Deadline field to the closest date that fits it's period (eg if its a weekly task with previous Deadline on the 29th of August and I close it today, it is going to reopen tomorrow with the Deadline set to 5th of September).

Small thing we also added was "Close permanently" transition which Closed task with clearing the period field in case this task is no longer needed.

The only problem to my approach for your task I see is that ScriptRunners api for Cloud feels more complex than for Server, but hope it still gives you something to think about.

robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2019
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

I've used that a couple of times, plus (of course) Scriptrunner, and before I had either of those, scripts on other systems that had schedulers (the most common one was bash scripts, triggered by cron, using the SOAP interface, although obviously you'd need to use REST instead of SOAP nowadays)

You have lots of good options, but nothing directly built-in.

Like robert Mugabuhamye likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events