Log work option

Bharath Mohan August 9, 2018

JIRA Agility look & feel, and responsiveness simply amazing. Only thing blocking us is, it is lagging "Log work" button. Engineers need to put timelog on every task they are working.

Can you please enable this option?

32 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2021

It's possible to

• Add the "Time tracking" field to an Issue Type in next-gen Project settings.
  • Log time and Time remaining from the Issue View
  • Have logged time show up in the Worklogs

We have not yet built the time tracking report although it will be something we make available in the future - most likely 1+ year time frame.

Thanks

Eoin

baqir_ali July 26, 2023

@Eoin, We are still waiting for Tracking Report, its 1+ year ! 

3 votes
Matias Eguez November 7, 2018

Hello there,

It would be awesome if you could add the "log work" option in the time soon, we definitely love the next gen projects style, but we need to track time with that option (not using add-ons).

Thanks!!

2 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2018

@Alejandro_Gómez_Montoya we've taken on sub-tasks and workflows as the next big items. Time tracking is likely next on our list after that. I hope this helps as an update.

1 vote
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 1, 2019

Time tracking does not seem to be on a short-term roadmap for Next-Gen projects as of today: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

So, it is worth to go and vote the corresponding request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17447

Also, third-party apps can still add time tracking to Next-Gen projects.

Clockwork Automated Timesheet provides standard features like Log Time, Edit/Delete worklog entry (respecting to permissions) in Next-Gen. It is a free app.

I hope this helps.

1 vote
Tudor Munteanu February 7, 2019

you might be having a 3rd party tool that provides this.

1 vote
Jermando Rodriguez January 31, 2019

Thanks for your reply.  How did you migrate from Next Gen to the classic version?  Were you able to keep the data?

1 vote
Michael Lopez January 18, 2019

What sort of project management software does not allow for tracking time? It's basically useless until you add this feature. I have no way to measure my team's performance...

1 vote
Ana Ochando January 11, 2019

Is the log work feature available on Next Generation Project? We also want to migrate to these type of project, however the log time against each issue it seems not possible.

Ideally down the road, we'd like reporting capabilities with regards to time like this:

Per user: 

1. Time estimated/spent on all tickets in custom period of time
  2. Time estimated/spent on tickets per project in custom period of time
  3. Time estimated/spent on tickets per epic on a project in custom period of time

Per project: 

1. Time estimated/spent on all tickets in custom period of time
  2. Time estimated/spent on tickets per epic on a project in custom period of time

Is this something that will be available soon?

Thanks,

Ana

1 vote
Alejandro_Gómez_Montoya November 2, 2018

@Eoin Thanks! I will wait the new features :) 

1 vote
Julien Femia
Atlassian Team
August 13, 2018

Hi @Bharath Mohan,

thanks a lot for the feedback! This is definitely something that is on our list of things to do.

We will keep adding to and improving the Agility boards so keep checking in. However, if you need to be able to use the "log work" right now, the classic kanban and/or scrum template might be a better fit for you.

Cheers!

0 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2021

It's possible to

• Add the "Time tracking" field to an Issue Type in next-gen Project settings.
  • Log time and Time remaining from the Issue View
  • Have logged time show up in the Worklogs

We have not yet built the time tracking report although it will be something we make available in the future... most likely 1+ year time frame.

Thanks

Eoin

0 votes
Elliot Larard January 7, 2021

For anyone picking this up now, you can also click on the Time tracking bar to log new work logs, instead of needing to go to the menu and click the 'Log Work' option.

This is equivalent to the + button in the Classic UI.

The good news is that you can click on the bar even if no time has been logged yet, whereas the + button in classic would not appear until after the first work log was created.

Note: The expanded worklog screen appears once you put a value in the Time spent field.Log work shortcut.PNGLog work screen.PNG

0 votes
danewf August 11, 2020

What is the status for the work log?

0 votes
Nathan Sturgess
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2019

Hi Guys, 

My team is about to pick this feature up. So it won't be too far off. I will ping you here when we roll it out. Thanks for your patience. 

Regards,

Nathan

0 votes
Brianna Leatham February 25, 2019

There is a clunky workaround that I have found that works for us for now, though our plan is to move our next-gen projects back to classic. 

You can still Log Work if you look at your assigned to me issues in the search issues view. It's not ideal, but looking at them in this list view instead of via the board in next-gen gives you the classic "3 dots" and log work option. Then you can pull hours into your reporting. Hope this helps! 

0 votes
Martin Koelbaek February 7, 2019

When viewing an issue's activity in Next Gen Projects, you do see this as an option. Is it a spoiler, or is there an actual way to log work currently working?

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Tudor Munteanu February 1, 2019
0 votes

Thanks @Elif Kiy.

0 votes
Elif Kiy January 31, 2019

I had a few issues so I moved one by one but it looks like there is a way to move in bulk. 

You can see details in following link  : 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-questions/How-to-bulk-move-issues-to-another-project/qaq-p/920146

0 votes

So you need to move each issue, one by one, to the classic project? Is there a "batch" way?

0 votes

Hi Jermando,

It is possible to move issues to another project in standard way and keep all data on the issue. 

To move an issue:

1. View the issue that you wish to move.
  2. Select More > Move.
  3. The first page of the Move Issue wizard is displayed. Complete the steps required.
  4. The confirmation page will display with all of your changes. ...
  5. Your issue will be moved to the target project and displayed on screen.

I hope it helps.  

0 votes

We are using timesheet add-on and we were able to log work on the dashboard. However, I just moved my tasks to under a classic project and deleted the new generation project. It doesnt make sense to use it without logwork functionality. 

0 votes

Any workaround for the "log work" option in the next gen version? How can I track time in next gen?

0 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
January 1, 2019

Hi @Elif Kiy. You can move your issues to a next-gen project using this step by step guide.

I have started doing some research on time tracking and I would love to learn more about your particular needs. If you had time free and you have overlap with Sydney we could set up a VC to chat. You can see free time slots using https://calendly.com/eoinryan

Thanks

0 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
January 1, 2019

Sorry for the delay @Luca Sorgiacomo. As part of next-gen we have been rebuilding many of the features from scratch to free us from some complexities that were built into Jira over the past 16 years. 

Ideally if we do completely rebuild time logging in the backend as well as the frontend, we would look to ensure users don't lose any data. Although I can't offer a guarantee as we haven't started looking into the solution time logging in detail yet.

I have however started doing some research and I would love to learn more about your particular needs. If you had time free and you have overlap with Sydney we could set up a VC to chat. You can see free time slots using https://calendly.com/eoinryan

Thanks

0 votes
Elif Kiy December 29, 2018

I wish I could have read this before I created a nextgen project. I opened our latest project as next generation project and we cant log work easily which is a must for us! I am looking for a way to convert it to classic project and I couldnt find it yet. I will appreciate if you let me know how to convert our project because I dont want to lose the history of the project. Thanks in advance!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events