How do I make an existing issue a child in Agile?

Paul Steckler September 27, 2018

We often have tickets (Stories, Tasks) that we need to retroactively add to an Epic in Agile.

I can link it (blocked by, etc.) but those don't show as Child items and hence don't work on the Agile board.

Anyone know how to do this?

10 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2021

This page describes the feature that was released and all the ways to manipulate the parent child relationship from the issue itself https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/create-an-issue-and-a-sub-task/

Thanks

2 votes
dank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2021

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. But for completion's sake (and if others stumble across this thread in future), this page describes the feature that was released and all the ways to manipulate the parent child relationship from the issue itself https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/create-an-issue-and-a-sub-task/

0 votes
Nick Read October 5, 2020

@dank , any news on this? Would be helpful to know. Thanks

0 votes
Hiren Gandhi March 29, 2019

Any update on this Daniel ?

I am looking to create child deliverables and sub-tasks for a next-gen Jira project that I have setup.

0 votes
Jules Bowie February 28, 2019

You can also command-click on the board to select multiple items, then click the three dots to add to epic. Or do a few batch items. 

0 votes
Ben Smithart October 2, 2018

Great!

0 votes
dank
Atlassian Team
October 1, 2018

Hi Paul,

This is a use-case we know we need to cater for, and we're currently working on providing an easy way to view and manipulate this relationship from within the context of a child item (story, task etc.) so stay tuned 🙂

0 votes
Philipp Herzig September 30, 2018

Meanwhile there is another workaround: Group the board by epics and drag the issue to the epic you like to assign it to. 

0 votes
Paul Steckler September 28, 2018

Thanks - that works but is, unfortunately, tedious vs. being able to do it from within the Epic, etc.

Hopefully there is another mechanism on the way

0 votes
Sam Storer September 28, 2018

From the Board, you can open the context menu (three dots icon) on an issue badge and select "Add to Epic/Change Epic".

From the Backlog, you can select multiple issues and do the same thing.

Hope that helps :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events