Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epics workflow, Epics board, and control of flow consistency

_AlexKorovyansky January 24, 2020

I'd like to have an option to manage the next-gen project in the following way:

• Epics are atomically shippable product increments. Ex. "Payments in Mobile app", "Weekly bugfix", "Leaderboard improvements on the website".
  • Epics workflow: backlog -> in short term -> in solution -> in backend -> in frontend -> in qa -> accepted for release -> in release -> in release qa -> shipped. 
  • Every epic (or at least epics which passed in solution column) is supposed to include a list of tasks, which the team considers as a plan to deliver the epic.
  • Tasks workflow: todo -> in progress -> in review -> done

Gantt chart for Epics (which is already implemented in Next-Gen projects) is a crucial feature to visualize the plan and see high-level progress. That just brilliant and I'm so happy to have this feature available in Next-projects. 

But, in addition to Gantt chart / Roadmap, I'd like to have an option to control the consistency of the delivery flow and easily detect flow interruptions when I have too many epics in the single column or too little / nothing in another. So, for me, the Epics board would help a lot to manage the speed and quality of delivery.

As you know, the current implementation of Next-gen projects includes only Task board, which provides value for individual team members to easily manage their assignments and observe colleagues' assignments. But, for me (as a product manager), the Task board cannot provide wanted ability to control the consistency of the flow. 

Moreover, currently, that's not possible to change the Epics workflow and have states other than todo -> in progress -> done, which doesn't make sense to me. 

So I hope, that further versions of Next-gen projects will provide an ability to manage Epics workflow and control flow consistency for epics delivery (for me, that would be enough to have Epics board in order to achieve that),

Also, I would be glad to hear any feedback and advice from the community on how to control the consistency of the flow for my use-case in Next-gen projects.

1 comment

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2020

Hi @_AlexKorovyansky

This is a great list of ideas - it's good to see you embracing Next-Gen and what potential it could have!

A few things worth keeping an eye on:

• Public Roadmap: This lists upcoming releases in 2020 for Jira Cloud - click to see it here. Check out "Reimagining the Workflow Editor", for example.
  • Suggestions: Check out JSWCLOUD-17392 for suggestions to improve Next-Gen. Take a look through and perhaps add suggestions you think are missing!

^ Also, you can create an Epic Board using the classic boards - this is how we did this:

1. Create a classic board - we chose a Kanban Board
  2. Attach the board to a project (this will need to be a classic project)
  3. Once created, go to Board Settings > General > Edit Filter Query
  4. Search for your Next-Gen project Epics - eg. project = "Next Gen AND issuetype = Epic
  5. Save the filter and return to the board
  6. Setup the statuses in Columns - if you search for multiple Next-Gen projects for this board, you might see statuses duplicate (even if they're the same). It's a known issue.

Granted, you can't edit the workflow so it will still match all other issue types in your Next-Gen project, but it takes you some of the way there :)

Ste

_AlexKorovyansky January 26, 2020

Thanks for sharing a link to JSWCLOUD-17392. It provides way more insights than the public roadmap page. As I can see work on workflow improvements is already "in progress" - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17434.

I hope "Reimagining the Workflow Editor" will allow setting different workflows for epics, tasks, and subtasks. It will help a lot for my use-case. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events