Working with epics in next-gen Software projects

153 comments

Bree Davies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2018

Hi @Danny Fitzgerald - we have a new concept of hierarchy in next-gen projects. So for the issues you've moved across, you can bulk assign issues to its epic by highlighting all the relevant issues, click the three dots > 'Assign to Epic' to set the relationship. I hope this helps :) 

Pietro Casella October 19, 2018

+1 Pls add Epics Tab to backog view

Like # people like this
Former User 01 October 19, 2018

You can link epics to each other and give them option like "has to finish together with" or "start is earliest end of". Can those connections be visualized and respected by the roadmap?

Like Rabbit Stoddard likes this
Martin Emrich October 19, 2018

Just upgraded our Jira server (not Cloud!) testbed to 7.12.3, and I can neither find Roadmaps nor "Next-Gen Projects" anywhere... Just to check: Are these features supposed to be in this version?

Mark Madsen October 19, 2018

Is it possible to convert a classic project to a Next-Gen project?  I just spent an hour manually moving issues from an existing project into a Next-Gen project to try this out, and it seems utterly ridiculous to expect us to do this manually.  Even just a bulk move, cmon!  

Without some way to convert existing stuff, this feature is NOT READY for use. Do not drag this to the "DONE" column!

Like Rabbit Stoddard likes this
Eswara K October 19, 2018

@Bree Davies @Mark Madsen exactly what I tried to do but could not figure out, so ended up logging a ticket instead. Also, Atlassian seems to be ignoring my earlier comments, so I would log a ticket instead.

Russell Stanford October 19, 2018

So far I like the new interface. It is an easier layout. I liked the epic panel and seeing those items appear when clicked on but I can manage with the new interface. Mostly I liked assigned the colors to the epics. 

What I would really like to see is:

1. A plus sign in front of the epic so you could see all the stories underneath while in the roadmap
  2. I would like to be able to drag and drop the stories in the epic to prioritize them either from that right hand issue view or in the suggestion listed above. 
  3. In the old Agile Board you could view issues from other projects in the same board. I really liked that. I would find it extremely useful to use in concert with the Roadmaps feature. 
  4. The Ability to add a Sub-Task or a checklist of some kind to an issue.
Like Doug Tung likes this
Deleted user October 20, 2018

It would be great to see a visual indicator of progress on the roadmap view (shade the epic bar for # of issues closed vs. total issues in Epic). 

It would also be great to see a similar chart, but for the stories within an epic (gantt chart).

Like # people like this
Oleg Putilin October 21, 2018

What about rolling up the estimated, spent and remaining hours?

Doing this for custom fields would be great too e.g. option to create roll-up field with Sum, Count, Min, Max and Average options

Like Zach Greene likes this
Dmitriy Zaynetdinov October 21, 2018

Are you planning to support milestones in the roadmap? It will be very great to see all our current and future releases on the roadmap.

Another cool feature is an ability to share roadmap on the corresponding page in Confluence. 

Brett Evans October 22, 2018

@Bree Davies the adding to epics isn't clear when you say click the ... as on the screen at the time their are 3 areas where ... appears and confusingly its the forth hidden set off ... you need to find that only appears when you hover on the bar and has a slight delay before it appears.

I also use Jira portfolio and have additional hierarchy to have initiatives. It would be good to have some info on how and if this new experience works with Jira Portfolio.

Anish Patel October 22, 2018

How do you create a "next gen" project?

Oli Turner October 22, 2018

@Kevin Bui @Bree Davies loving the new direction Jira is taking! I have a question about 'Next-Gen' projects. Is there a way to use a 'Next-Gen' project to pull epics from other projects, and display in the new roadmap feature?

Like Patrick Plaggenborg likes this
Thomas Withers October 22, 2018

Once you create an issue under an epic, can you move that issue to another epic? If so how? You could do this before...

Riya October 22, 2018

Hi,

Very organized template and very easy to use.

It allows execution in actual agile meaning. 

The previous template sometime clumsy when working with parallel sprint & long backlog.

This template should also allow for parallel sprints.

It is admin free, but will it affect the performance? Because an individual can add custom fields and workflow status.

Mark Hanson October 23, 2018

Why do we have to update EPICs as Done manually - could this not update based on number of child issues completed?

Like Deleted user likes this
Hannah Patronoudis October 23, 2018

+ 1 on creating an issue in the backlog and then adding the epic type!

and, why can't you create bugs or tasks anymore?

eran October 23, 2018

How do I upgrade my projects to next-gen? I need to use Roadmaps on several of them.

Henrik Öquist October 23, 2018

@Hannah Patronoudis you can create new "types" that allows you to create bugs, tasks, and other customer types in the project settings. Does that help?

@Nyen Tran Thanks, didn't see that! ;) 

Thomas Calhoun October 23, 2018

Help Jira! I don't see the ability to estimate tasks/stories in hours/minutes anymore...only story points. Am I just missing it somewhere? Thx!

Like Deleted user likes this

@Thomas Calhoun You can add your own numeric field to a story

How can you turn off notification in a "next-gen" project? I can't seem to have the rights to edit this?

Thomas Calhoun October 23, 2018

@Hannah Patronoudis Thanks for your response. You're right, but a simple numeric field doesn't behave the way the jira estimate field does, which counts down consumed hours...I have always relied on this feature to stay on track/budget.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events