Issue create improvement on the Backlog

We have just released new way to create issues in the backlog - in between cards!

Simply hover over the divider between the two cards where you want the issue to be created, and you will be presented with an issue create bar.

No more having to scroll to the bottom of the backlog and moving your issue after it has been created.

in-between-cards.gif

20 comments

Daniel Ng February 27, 2019

Cool I guess? It's not as useful as being able to create/use subtasks though...

Like # people like this
Tal Levi March 25, 2019

Don't see it in any of our next-gen backlogs :/ 

Tal Levi March 25, 2019

And it would be great to have a mode like this in the board as well - instead of having the whole popup open, have the ability to just add the summary as you have done here (Some people prefer it since they don't need to elaborate much on each task). Asana has something like that.

biniek
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hello @Tal Levi,

inline create issues is available for both board and backlog unless you try to create issues in an active sprint.

At the moment, we do not allow issues to be created directly in an active sprint, as this conflicts with strict Scrum methodology practices. However, as we have received numerous feedback about this issue, we have decided to change this behaviour to allow creating issues in active sprints.

Tal Levi March 26, 2019

Hey @biniek, thanks for the quick response.

I tried to use it in a kanban project and the option doesn't appear when hovering over the divider between cards.

Also, when using the inline feature in the board itself it sends it to the backlog instead of keeping it on the board.

biniek
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2019

@Tal Levi that's interesting. Would you mind creating support ticket, so we can investigate your case?

Tal Levi March 28, 2019

Done, thanks :) JST-463547

Like biniek likes this
Dan Ray May 1, 2019

I'm also not getting the inline issue adder UI when hovering on a divider between backlog items.

biniek
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2019

@Dan Ray can you please confirm that you have permissions to create issues? If so, please create support ticket :)

Ben Jackson
Atlassian Team
May 12, 2019

Also, one little known feature, if you filter your backlog by epic and then add an issue inline it will automatically be added to that epic. 

I know a lot of people have been asking for better ways to assign issues to epics but while we build them I wanted to mention that one.

Ben - PM on Jira

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 3.45.04 pm.pngJira.

Like biniek likes this
Андрей Гуров May 16, 2019

@biniek hi
tell me, using Cloud version and also didn't receive this update :(

biniek
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2019

@Андрей Гуров can you please confirm that you have permissions to create issues in your project? It is not shown to the users which can't create issues.

If you do, please create support ticket :)

Like Андрей Гуров likes this
Андрей Гуров May 17, 2019

@biniek yes, i have permission to create, cause i'm project leader.

Dries Grobler September 27, 2019

Just to confirm, is this only for next-gen projects?

Dries.

biniek
Atlassian Team
September 29, 2019

@Dries Grobler yes, it is available in next-gen projects only.

Greg Jankowski November 9, 2019

@biniek 

I thought this was supposed to work on an active sprint as well?

There are times we have to add bug to a current sprint and you currently have to change view, go to backlog, create the issue, and then drag it into the sprint.

blim
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2019

Hello @gjankowski ,
We are aware of this feature request. It is not available by design - as any change to the sprint may introduce unexpected distractions which will make sprint goal unachievable. However, it is known that it is quite common case that the scope of the sprint needs adjustment while already active (like in your case). We have already ticket in our backlog and we'll prioritize accordingly.

Like biniek likes this
Muii December 3, 2019

Should the completed backlog not be removed from the backlog list? The status of this backlog has been set to done. However, it can still be seen in the backlog list.360截图17001020538898.png

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2019

@Muii 

If you transition an issue in the backlog or sprint to "Done", it is removed once you do a page reload, but not in real time.
Alicia Holmes March 17, 2020

when will we be able to add custom fields to backlog screen to help categorize issues? Now there is just type, id, name and epic (if assigned). A lot of real estate that could be customized...

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events