Everything you want to know about next-gen projects in Jira Cloud

117 comments

adrian.wood November 21, 2018

@G I guess this is because there is no option to set some Default Member for Project Roles in nearly created Next-Gen Projects. I've not tested it yet, but you'd assume that if a new user created a Next-Gen project, that it shouldn't be possible to downgrade that users permissions so that the Project has no-one against the admin role? I know that it's possible to accidentally orphan a Bitbucket Project (e.g remove all access) as I've managed to do it in the past!

G November 21, 2018

Another problem we had was where in setting up a new instance, we added some users as site-admins so they could manage billing. But when entering the instance, they were forced to create a project. We will just make sure to never add someone as a site-admin until they have logged in and contributed first. I wish that the onboarding screen allowed you to “skip” the project creation.

Jan Jones November 22, 2018

How do I create multiple boards in a Next Gen project?

eg. Design (Kanban), Development (Scrum)

Like # people like this
Edie Hovermale November 27, 2018

I would like to turn off next gen projects until we can get some rules around creating them. Everyone is creating them and our Jira is becoming a mess with lots of test projects that no one is using.

adrian.wood November 28, 2018

@Edie Hovermale You can change the Global permissions model so that the "Create next-gen projects" is set to a group with less people in it. I've set ours so only Jira Admins can create them. 

Like Lorraine Gorman likes this
Matt Campion November 28, 2018

Great article. Really help explanations and comparisons between Classic and Next-Gen. It takes a little to get used to, but I really like where Next-Gen is headed. Empowering a wider cross-section of users and teams within organisations. Awesome.

Heather Matranga December 12, 2018

I'm looking for a way to see the Epic view in next-gen and also color code my epics again. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Damon Gaylor December 12, 2018

Anyone know how to turn off notifications in Next-Gen?  Of all the things, this is bugging me the most (today ;) )

Sandra Saartok December 17, 2018

I've been testing this next-gen thing out. In a nutshell, not too shabby, but I am struggling to add a rule to the created board.

I created a next-gen Kanban project, and in the board view, there is no click the more icon (•••) > Manage rules.

am I missing something?

Like Jeff_Winget likes this
Eduardo__wefox__Mignot December 19, 2018

"Over time, we've added additional layers of configuration to improve customization. But, these layers can make it more difficult for admins to learn and maintain their setup" 
> read "so even employees within JIRA are not aware of all the latest functionalities and customization"  (have a real experience during a call with JIRA CS) 

As more days pass your tool is getting harder and harder to use, understand and explain to people.
Next gen is great but lack of basic functionalities (eg: issue links) doesn't allow to migrate and mean we cannot use this product. So we remain using the same "complex and time-consuming" and confusing tool.

Also, clearly you would like to create a "migration widget" that would do it for you and carry you step by steps on the adjustment you need to make.

Would be great if you could work on making your classic projects better as well :)

Deleted user December 19, 2018

can't group issues by epic in a query to be able to insert it as a filter in a confluence page. we're using labels as a work around and it's getting messy. when is this going to be fixed?

Untitled.png

Vivek Reghunath December 19, 2018

Custom workflows (Status) with Next Gen projects

Is there a way to setup custom  workflows with Next Gen projects?

Default I see is : To Do > IN PROGRESS > DONE

I want to make something like : SUBMITTED > UNDER REVIEW > SCHEDULED > DONE

Matt Rogers January 2, 2019

Where can we get a sense of what's on the roadmap for next gen? Specifically, the Roadmap view for Epics is SO EXCITING but it badly needs some additional filtering capability (other than just Status) before it can be really useful to us.

Like Alicia Pino likes this
Blake McMillan January 3, 2019

Vivek for a Next Gen project, you just need to create a new column on your board to create a new status type.  You can also re-purpose the default columns/status types by renaming them.

Morris Coyle January 4, 2019

How about adding functionality to filter the roadmap?

Like # people like this
ilan yosef January 4, 2019

releases???

Like Sara Saran likes this
Alicia Pino January 9, 2019

@Steve Whitaker I am currently experiencing the same issues. Did you ever find a solution to you problem?

Vinay Peddamala January 10, 2019

Super cool development. I really like the features and the way it is controllable.  I was wondering if you can provide more action items in the drop down once a bunch of issues are selected.

drop down.PNG

Amir Shahzad January 10, 2019

My company already try to setup the new coming projects on Next-gen then after analyzing we reverse back to old Jira because there are many things not provided in Next-gen. For Example in Old Jira we can run the sprints parallel but in Next-gen only one sprint allow at the same time.

There are many other features that are not available yet in Next-gen i.e. Components, Sub-Tasks, Story Time Estimation, Permissions structure etc.

But Interesting thing in Next-gen is "Roadmap" that is not provided in old jira and it was big attraction to move on Next-gen but the problem is that we can create the road map by creating the child tasks under Epic.

Waiting for the more features in Next-gen.

Like # people like this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2019

@Vinay Peddamala what suggestions do you have for bulk actions? This is an area we want to improve discoverability and usage of in the future so keen to hear some thoughts.

Cheers

senthill sundaram January 10, 2019

Looking at all the comments above, all is required is a Roadmap feature in Classic Jira to begin with followed by implementation of the Next-gen jira project in Classic Jira. This will provide a full featured option for large scale programs and clients.  

Vinay Peddamala January 11, 2019

@Eoin 

At the moment, I can think of

1. Bulk moving them to different columns/status OR Bulk change in general as we have in the classic one
  2. Delete
David Ortiz January 17, 2019

In next-gen projects, can I get the epic to which a story belongs by REST API as in classic projects? Or for JQL searches?

tim.nesdale January 17, 2019

We like to have child projects/backlogs below a parent one so that you can see all of the work at a higher level on one board or just look at the product level board. It doesnt look like you can do this with next gen projects yet is that correct?

shantel grant January 18, 2019

Is there a way to print my project board or export to excel?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events