Everything you want to know about next-gen projects in Jira Cloud

117 comments

G June 12, 2019

I strongly agree with Victor.  Next-Gen is for people that have never used Jira before that are building a brand new Jira instance (good way to capture more market-share of other types of users that have no software admin experience).

If you know what you are doing I would recommend to fully steer clear and prevent your users from being able to create Next-Gen projects (they will just create a mess in your workflows, screens, custom fields, etc.).  Go into your system settings > global permissions and make sure that no one (or only site-admins) has the ability to create these projects (at least this global permission was rolled out shortly after the launch).

Like # people like this
Dwight Pfundstein June 13, 2019

Not all companies have JIRA Admins on staff. Classic JIRA is centralized management; NextGen pushes this functionality out to a distributed model.

It is key when using NextGen that someone with a JIRA background (or some level of tech skills) manages user roles appropriately and prevents ad-hoc project creation.

NextGen is working well for my company, which is a marine technology company. We have no IT staff, no JIRA Admins. I am the defacto Admin, and I am actually the Project Manager. We use JIRA to manage hardware, software and firmware development efforts.

My biggest concerns about NextGen (already documented) include needing additional reporting features (similar to what Classic offers) and better extract capability by Epics.

Sylvia Isler June 14, 2019

When will next-gen projects be available in JIRA Server?

G July 17, 2019

Dwight, just so you know, classic Jira can be distributed and is not centralized by default... you just add as many users to the administrators group as you want and the functionality is far superior than NextGen if you take the time to learn it.  We had a few users ramp up a year ago and they became extremely knowledgeable in the admin functionality (they had never used Jira before).

NextGen could work for some companies, but it is not good when Atlassian forces its reduced functionality onto experienced Jira users by default (like they did with this to start, and then the New Issue View, and then the new user profiles that launched yesterday).  We need to have an admin global default setting for all of this stuff so that we can control how the setting starts for our users instead of telling thousands of people to go change their personal settings... and we can also protect our users if there are bugs (like the new profile view and the New Issue View, which will be great when they fully work properly).

Atlassian did add that admin global permission for NextGen after the launch, so I am happy for that at least.

Kuldeep Kushwah September 3, 2019

Can someone please tell me where i can add original estimate fields in next-gen.

Anil Kumar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2019

@Kuldeep Kushwah - Next-Gen Project-->Setting-->Issue Type -->Fields (right side panel) ==> check if you have added time tracking. If yes , rest is similar as basic project.

Haining Du December 17, 2019

Great article! Thank you!

Nick Marrello February 15, 2020

I'd like to see next-gen projects be able to roll-up to a master project or at least a parent roadmap with child roadmaps from multiple nextgen projects.

Like GEON likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2020

Hi

I am 2nd to ask this in the comments I think.

When creating a project - either Classic or Next Gen - From the sounds of it , it seems that all the features/types under Classic is all "moving" to Next gen? So is classic going to "fall away" or be decommissioned / deprecated some time in the future?

Our organization is migrating to Jira and I am trying to understand alot of it and this as well so that we know for the future automation and what may come ahead.

Thank you

Patrick Perez March 7, 2020

Super helpful

GEON April 7, 2020

OK, so the next gen projects work ok, and the Trello import is very well done, however there are very large gaps in selecting and searching (like not being able to search/sort on custom fields) the next gen board feel rather anemic and are frustrating to manage. This is disappointing.  We have many Jira projects and a dozens of Trello boards, its very hard to loose all search-ability in Jira, I don't know what the thinking was - but feel that it was flawed. It would be OK for power users to be able to toggle views and search using the classic interface (a hacky solution at best) the complete absence of filtering and jql is surprising.

Sylwia Nikel May 11, 2020

What I like about next-gen is the roadmap but I'm missing the more the advanced project automation features.

Like GEON likes this
Per_Horn_Rasmussen June 1, 2020

Great start introduction!

Alejandro June 2, 2020

ThankS! Great article! 

Alexander Developer August 17, 2020

HI! We use the Next-Gen project on Jira Cloud, Kanban scheme. How could I resolve a problem to unable an issue creation only from the backlog column?

Michael Glenn Williams April 17, 2021

The RTM App doesn't work in next-gen projects, and the EasyAgile user story maps App doesn't work unless we have a SCRUM board. Is it possible to get a scrum board that EasyAgile will use with a classic project ?

Like Gerard.Morvan likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events