Classic and next-gen project templates in Jira Software Cloud

58 comments

Philippos Psyllos September 19, 2019

Good afternoon, may we ask when are Workflows to be released in next-gen projects ?

Jira Service Desk October 1, 2019

How do I create a project using classic? All my projects are classic and I don't want to build a project using  the next gen. 

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

Hi @Jira Service Desk - You can create classic projects by going to Jira homeProjects Create projectClassic project.

If you're unable to create a classic project, it's because you don't have the right permissions to create one. You'll need to ask a Jira admin to create one for you (which has always been the case; we left this unchanged).

Hope this helps!

John February 4, 2020

Hi @Kevin Bui and @Eoin

1 year ago I've told you that a must have feature would be to have rolling up story points from sub-task to parent task (or US).

But since, I check regularly the public roadmap Jira Next-gen public Roadmap but there is no planned feature like this even in "Coming 2020".

So, I understood there was some other big features to be integrated before when I asked for this.

But after more than a year, I see now some "nice to have" features planned that majority of users don't care or just for a niche.

All of your core software, and it's purpose, is based on helping teams to plan agile developments and made team's life easier to priority focus on working and delivering features faster than spend time in "writing things without added value".

So, this must have feature (I insist) which is rolling up story points is missing since maybe 5 or 6 years (just check your backlog in Jira Cloud development or Jira Core).

When can we expect to have this feature?

I work in software development and even if I don't know how your code base is, I sure it doesn't take to much time or effort to ship this feature...

So please, tell your Product Owner and Dev team to plan this feature this year and ship it quickly.

If you think it's not a must have feature, make a poll and see the result... You will be surprised by the number of your users who are annoyed and irritated by this missing feature.

Last thing, if I take my busy time to write you comments it's to help you improve your product. It is a very good one, but your competitors have made a huge work and great one since those years.

So, friendly, don't stay on the bench...

Best regards.

Kelly Albrecht February 4, 2020

I would vote “no” to a poll about pointing subtasks and having them roll up to their parent Story.

Subtasks should not be pointed and I’ve always admired Atlassian for sticking to their guns on this.

Also, rolling up projected effort is a dangerous game to play and doing this with pointing is nonsensical with pointing sequences, like Fibonacci. For example, I don’t think it makes sense to have an 8 point and a 3 point roll up to be an 11 point. 11 is not a Fibonacci number. 

John February 4, 2020

"Dangerous game" ? Isn't it too much ?

You know, Scrum give a frame and tips to apply the ideology. Scrum as is it described doesn't give you the unique way to to things. So Fibonacci is a way to estimate work not an absolute rule. If you use 4 points or 5 points it's not a big deal. It's up to you to have a sequence with works for you and give you the ability to differentiate task effort.

What you say is the opposite of the Agile ideology. Agile have to be in constante improvement and is here to be adapted for each team.

Like in software development, a framework give you a frame not the way you have to code each line to make a feature. Scrum is the same.

As said in the Scrum manifest, there is not one way to do Agile but as mush ways as team exists.

So please, don't say it's "dangerous". It's not your way, ok, but I know more team who dream to have rolling up estimate than team who don't want it (actually, you're the only one).

Kelly Albrecht February 4, 2020

I get that you are trying to make a case for this feature. I do know that not pointing subtasks, nor rolling them up, has been an intentional decision that Atlassian has made, which I whole heartedly agree with and hope they stick to. 

There are posts all over the place, all across the years, about it.

Good luck on your journey!

Steve Terelmes February 4, 2020

John - I get your point. Often we tell students and clients that Jira is a product, not an Agile standard enforcer. So it should let you do what you want. But at the same time that can be a slippery slope, especially when it goes against the 90% case. We never see any of our clients pointing sub tasks.

But maybe there is better option for you. It sounds like (perhaps - I don't want to assume) that you are just living one step too low in your hierarchy. This problem can likely be solved in Portfolio which respects customized Issue Type hierarchies for roll up of estimates.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events