Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Next Gen Service Desk External User Permissions

How do I allow an external jira user to view only their assigned issues. 

1 comment

I recently set up access in such a scenario. The main issue is that you either have access or you don't. This means that you have to limit access to those projects, this external user may not have access to. I did the following:

• Set all existing projects to private
  • Created a new role to ensure existing project members retain the same view and change rights as before and switched all existing project users over to the new role (due to the switch to private they have to be added manually or they won't be able to see the project anymore).
  • Gave the external JIRA user access to JIRA only
  • Set the Role of the external JIRA user to "Standard" (=only give access to products I allowed)
  • Created a new group for the external JIRA users and added them to the JIRA software product access 
  • Gave them the "Viewer" Role in the projects they are allowed to see

Setting the whole thing up takes some time, how much time depends on how many users you have to add and the number of projects you need to add them to. But normally this is a one time thing. Once it's set up, it can be used as often as needed with little effort. 

Before I sent out the invite to the external JIRA user I did a test run to ensure that they can only see what I want them to see. Once the test was successful I gave them access. They will be able to read and comment on the issues in the project until I revoke their access to it. 

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you