Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

We have just switched to JIRA from Zen desk in the school I am working at. I love JIRA it is so powerful to use. Any great tips to get the most out of workflows and automations?

4 comments

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Oct 07, 2020

Hi @Leigh Wolf  and welcome to the community!

JIRA is a very powerful product and only enhanced further by the apps that you can add to it.

Might I ask what your motivation was for going with a Next Gen SD project instead of a Classic one? (that purely out of my own interest).

Getting the most out of the workflows and automations however is a bit tricky. It all depends on what your use-cases are that you want to accomplish.

Workflows can offer a lot in steering your users in a good/well defined process and making their day to day a lot more user friendly.

Just try not to go overboard on the States & Status transitions. 

Automations then well they are what they do, they automate mondaine tasks and help you in triggering all kinds of things you would otherwise need to do manualy but and perhaps most importantly without any knowledge of code.

If you have specific questions feel free to reach out to this lovely community and i'm sure we'll be able to help you!

nina_schmidt Community Leader Oct 07, 2020

Hi @Leigh Wolf 

and welcome! 
as @Dirk Ronsmansexplained perfectly our questions: what use-case do you want to set up in Jira?  You mentioned a school? so more CRM related Workflows or human Ressources related? 

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans and @nina_schmidt 

It's not so much thinking next gen, more thinking what is the best way to go to get to the most out of JIRA to work for us..being a school yes CRM and device management. So we have snipe for shcool devices so we plan to integrate that in to link with student devices so it make warranty jobs easy to integrate into tickets. 

I have done a few workflows with different request types. But it's more just thinking of making it more automated for the everyday tasks. I am not at work at the moment but when I get to work I will try and put into words what we are trying to achieve.

Thanks for making feel so welcome.

Like # people like this
John Funk Community Leader Oct 08, 2020

Hello and Welcome, Leigh!

We are glad you are here!!

Welcome.jpg

We have a lot of custom workflows and tons of Automation. I would encourage to map out your processes first and see what is most helpful for accomplishing what you need. We do little if any Next-gen projects because they are not very flexible right now. But we also are using more and Jira Service Desk projects. 

Hey @John Funk 

Yes, that's what I am doing now. I am trying to look at the kind of request types we would be getting and putting them into issue types with a workflow. I have gotten my head around the language of JIRA. Just trying to see what automation can be done and how far you can go. 

I am wanting to have a job come in and as you transition stuff that is mundane work then it automatically comments and does its own thing in the background. So, I am setting up the components side of things, so we have component leads. Is there a way of having Sub-Components with leads? We deal with so many issues I kind of don't want to have list of components in my customer portal. I want them to go drill down in the components to sub-components. 

Thanks for making me feel so welcome! It's seems like an awesome community. I just want to get my JIRA Service desk running like a well oiled machine!

John Funk Community Leader Oct 12, 2020

Hey Leigh - sorry for the long delay in responding. There are no built-in functions for sub-components. But you could create a custom field(s) that does kind of the same thing.

The problem is that yo can't do conditional fields (values of one field based on the values of another field). But we pretty much are able to do that functionality using the add-on ProForma Forms with Jira Service Desk. 

Hi everyone,

So, I am thinking we have the key issues in our school environment.  

Software Licenses, Hardware Fault, Software Fault, Printer/Copier Fault, Loan Hardware, iPad App request, Website Request, Website Blocked. But is there a way to have say Sub issues in these key issues? It the same with components, I have stuff like Network side of things but there are subcomponents in there e.g. WIFI, Network/Hardware Faults(Cabling, Switches and so on) Is better to have more request types to come in more issue types with multiple Workflows or combine them? I am just seeing what the best way to go about this.

I hope this makes sense lol.

John Funk Community Leader Oct 12, 2020

Just a quick note - it's best to create a new question for each need that you have. That way you get many eyes on it. You might want to go ahead and create a new question for this one.  :-)

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you