What's the difference between jira-administrators and administrators? not Jira Systems admin

Charles Prokow March 2, 2018

I'm new to Jira and I'm documenting how Jira was set up by our past Jira Admin. I'm looking at Groups and Project roles.  In Groups, I see both  jira-administrators and administrators and would like to know the difference.  I see the question in Atlassian Community: What is the difference between a jira-administrator and an administrator?  but the answers address Jira Systems Administrator vs jira-administrator.  Does anyone know the difference jira-administrators vs administrators?  Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2018

Jira Admin has overall admin rights on the application

Admin is a role in a project - has admin rights on a project/s

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2018

Hi Charles,

Given that with proper permissions one can create any group with any name and give it any permission it's pretty hard to tell the difference between two groups just by looking at their names. For all we know there might be no difference at all! 

But first things first. I'd start with checking global permissions to see if there's any difference between these two groups on a Jira level. Then I'd check if any of these groups are set as default members of any project roles.

If that doesn't help, check if there are any specific permission/notification/issue security schemes or saved filters associated with these groups and see if there's any difference there between the two. You can do it by clicking on these groups' name in Administration -> User management -> Groups.

Lastly go through your projects and see which groups are assigned to project roles in Project settings -> Users and Roles.

And if all else fails, I suppose there's always an option to try an reach out to your past Jira admin and ask him directly.

Hope this helps.

Charles Prokow March 5, 2018

Hi Ivan,  

Thanks so much for the helpful tips!  I will follow your suggestions and review each.  Much appreciated!

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2018

Please mark this soultion as "Accepted" if it resolved your issue.

David Torquiano April 10, 2018

This was helpful thanks Ivan.

Suggest an answer