Trello user - Tried Jira but it auto-connected to work domain

storizzi May 1, 2020

Hi - I am an existing paid user of Trello, and I noticed that I could get a free instance of Jira (for up to 10 people), so I clicked the button, and off it went and created a new project in Jira... Under the domain of the company I work for instead of attached to my personal Trello account.

This seems like quite a serious security breach (especially as I was using this in a separate Google Chrome account not associated to my work account) and have no idea how it could have happened, as my Trello account is registered to an email address with no connection to the company I work for, and pre-dates this. I don't have admin privileges to Jira in the company I work for, so this shouldn't really be able to happen.

Any ideas how I can break the link (which I can't find anywhere in my atlassian profile) with my company domain?

Trying to get support led me here. I'm happy not to use Jira for my own uses if security in the Atlassian Profile is this flakey, but I should get the link to the company I am working for removed for security reasons if nothing else.

Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2020

Hello @storizzi

To clarify, you have set up a new Jira cloud instance and the site admin account is your work email address, not your personal email address which was your intention. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Danny

storizzi May 3, 2020

Hi Danny

Thanks for your response.

The site admin user correctly shows as the same as my Trello account.

The 'Organization' shows as my work organization. My Trello account is not linked to that organization in any way (or at least wasn't). I changed this to match what I wanted, but the 'site' under that shows my work organization, and I don't seem to be able to change that, so I think your assessment is correct. Do you know how I can disassociate this and set up a new organization? I wasn't asked about an organization when I set up an atlassian ID originally for my Trello account, so I'm guessing this must have got picked up in the background at this point.

I'd forgotten how fragmented admin is with Atlassian products - it just seems to have got worse with Atlassian ID.

The Atlassian ID says it is connected to my Trello account, but for some reason it is using my employer's work domain (employerscompanyname.atlassian.net) even though there is no sign reference to my employer's company, and the email I use for my Trello account / Atlassian ID is not related to my employer - I've never used that email address at my employer.

I did recently receive an email suggesting that I have another email address associated to the Trello account (also a personal email address but one that I have used when I used to be a contractor at the company before I had a company email address), so it could be that it's latched onto that somehow, but it's not something I can see associated to either Trello or the Atlassian ID - so again, not sure how it managed to get hold of this other email address either from a Trello or Atlassian ID perspective.

My only thought is that I have logged into Trello from a google chrome instance that also had tabs logged into work Atlassian instance before, and somehow it has mixed these two things up and assigned my Trello Atlassian ID to my work Atlassian ID.

This all makes me very nervous if Atlassian ID can automatically decide to link itself to another account I happen to be logged into as well - e.g. when working with other customers who have an Atlassian account.

I'm working with a corporate client who is considering moving to Atlassian products, and this makes me very nervous that I'll need to be very careful to only log into their domain from Incognito mode in case one of my other Atlassian IDs randomly links itself to their domain.

Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

Hi @storizzi

Not sure how it did get this as well, though let's keep triaging the issue to find the source.

Do you have access to the User Management of your work's Jira instance to check that the personal email address is not a user? 

Could you go to start.atlassian.com with your personal email address and check if any of work domain Atlassian products are listed there?

Thanks,

Danny

Suggest an answer