Preparing Stories offline

Paul Edison June 11, 2020

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to offline prepare my jira Items and then later when I have internet connection ingest them into Jira.

I'm working a lot aboard/traveling - and there is very often no connection to the internet, sometime I as well don't want my items to be published before I'm not done.

Therefore I want to prepare these items offline and later upload them to Jira.
I was looking for a tool where I can put all the information of a ticket in and then when finished upload the tickets to the Jira instance.

Or write the information into a file and later to tell Jira to import it.

Is there anything like that?
I don't know a tool for that.
And was looking for importing it and this importer was not supporting all fields (not even all ticket types)

I'm using Jira v7.13.13.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2020

I've seen three broad approaches to this:

• Write a load of local data into a format that you can import into Jira later (Bascially, a spreadsheet, then save as csv and manually import it)
  • Write a script that parses whatever you're saving your offline data in and pokes it into Jira over REST when you are next connected to it
  • Use something like https://almworks.com/jiraclient/overview.html
0 votes
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2020

Hi Paul,

Jira wasn't really intended for offline use, but you can leverage the file import method you mentioned. Take a look at Atlassian's Importing data from CSV documentation.

It's also worth noting that importing CSVs via the Navigation bar > Issues > Import issues from CSV is a user facing option that is only good for creating new issues. The Admin only CSV import option in Admin > System > External System Import > CSV can create new issues and update existing issues. Cheers!

Suggest an answer