Not able to change Project Lead

Travis Rebok April 9, 2021

I have Project Admin permissions.

I'm a Project Administrator using JIRA v8.11.0. I used to be able to change the Project Lead ,but now I can't.

On the Project Settings -> Users and Roles screen I click Edit Defaults then just type in the Project Lead field until the required name is auto-suggested. Then hit the Update button and the Edit Project Lead and Default Assignee for Project pop-up box disappears to leave me on the Project Lead > User and Roles screen and the Project Lead entry alters to Default Assignee. Refresh the page and I'm back to the original set up and nothing has changed. 

Alternatively, if I change the current Project Lead role to unassigned and return to the Edit Project Lead > User and Roles screen the Project Lead entry alters to Default Assignee.  On clicking Edit Defaults both the Project Lead and Default Assignee are blank and labelled Select.  I type the name of the relevant person and choose from the auto-suggest list, then click Default Assignee and choose Project Lead.  This time when I hit Update nothing happens - it remains there and I'm unable to commit the changes.

In any case I am able to select a new Project Lead and Default Assignee from the drop-downs but the changes do not take hold. When refreshing the page the original values remain.

Screen 1 - I select the new Project Lead name from the list. Note the current name ("Maest....") in the background. then I click the Update button.

Proj Lead 1.PNG

Screen 2 - After clicking Update the popup disappears and I am back on the Users and roles screen. Note that the Project Lead is now just some kind of grey placeholder. Nothing else happens. Proj Lead 2.PNG

Screen 3 - I finally click the refresh button on the browser and see that the Project Lead remains the same as before. My update did not work.Proj Lead 3.PNG

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Hi Travis - have tried to change it in the Details tab of Project Settings? 

Travis Rebok April 9, 2021

The Project Lead is not listed on that tab in my version

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Ah, I forgot you were in Server version. Can you attach some screenshots of what you are seeing? 

Travis Rebok April 12, 2021

Added screenshots to original post.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2021

I would say that you definitely need to put in a support ticket with Atlassian. Please post the resolution back here so we can close this one out. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Hi @Travis Rebok 

You have managed to solve the problem?

Cheers

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2021

@Travis Rebok  - Any update?

Jette Jepsen July 14, 2021

@John Funk HI, I see the same error in our system today 

we are running Datacenter  with jira 8.17.0.

Do you know of any updates on this issue?

Jette Jepsen July 14, 2021

@John Funk I found another post just saying "type in the name of the new project leader even though the fields seems inactive and there is no drop down list".

This worked for me

No need to do any more

0 votes
Patrick Van Tassell September 22, 2021

Project administrators are having the same issue as described here on the following Data Center version: 

• Atlassian Jira Project Management Software (v8.9.0-m0003#809000-sha1:4ceb90a)

However, full app wide Jira admin are able to make this change as expected.  

0 votes
Raju Anumula July 15, 2021

This issue is resolved? if yes help me with the workaround. Thanks

Raju Anumula July 15, 2021
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2021

What problem are you having? 

Suggest an answer