Jira as a data catalog

john steinbeck July 2, 2020

My work is wanting to use Jira as a data catalog, I.e, this query was written by so and so, which is used in this stored procedure, created on this server, and created on this database on said server, which connects to this server and database,to produce this report, which is used in this SSIS package, which is executed by this Job on server so and so. By the way, the data steward of the report is this person, and the POC for the report is this person who manages this account, and when an error occurs contact developer so and so.  Is this probable, a reality, etc.

Thank you, 

2 answers

0 votes
Ruben Alliet August 24, 2020

@john steinbeck  @Carlos Garcia Navarro 

I'm really curious about the answer. I'm also currently researching whether it's a viable option to use JIRA as a data catalog.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2020

Hi @Ruben Alliet , can you describe your use case? Then I can tell you how I think Jira could be used to cover your case. Thanks :-)

Ruben Alliet August 27, 2020

Hi,

So we were thinking about the following:

- Each DB field or table from our Data sources(MSSQL & Bigquery) would be a Jira issue and those would be linked together with relationships. Those Jira issues would contain information about the field/table like Data owner,Data steward,sensitive data yes/no,Identity and access management rules.

the relationship would kinda look like this: 

FIELD 

/   

Table -    FIELD

\  

FIELD

- Those field names and table names (originating from MSSQL & Bigquery) should be synchronized with the JIRA system and create/update jira issues using A) the JIRA API or B) a direct connection with the JIRA DB  

Please let me know what your opinion is about the following? 

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2020

Thanks for the details. For more context, why don't you use the data source (the DB) as your data catalogue. If a DB field maps to a Jira issue how much information is there in the DB field, and what information do you want to track in the Jira ticket?

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2020

Hi @john steinbeck ,

I'm not sure I understood the question, but if what you want is a knowledge base you could use Confluence.

john steinbeck July 5, 2020

I believe a knowledge base, might be considered or the same as a service catalog, for which captures knowledge, lessons learned or how the issue was fixed.

Whereas a data catalog offers the names and locations of SSIS jobs, or even Stored Procedures. In order to fix an issue one has to know where all these process live.

Does the differences explained help?

I need fact based research articles or help documentation to explain what Jira’s true purpose is and the comparable differences to a data catalog, hence if true, why using a service catalog as a data catalog is inadequate.

Thank you,

Suggest an answer