If your organisation has a free plan (max 10 users) can external people watch and reply in tasks?

Kasper Kendall November 6, 2020

If there is an organisation that has a free jira plan (max 10 users), can they give access to extra external people to follow, watch and reply in topics/tasks, when they have already added 10 of their own people as users to their free plan?

Thanks for your help in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2020

Hi @Kasper Kendall ,

if they need to be internal users they will count toward your licenses.

Depending on their role you could add them (on a JSD project) as customers. They will be able to comment/view external comments/follow an issue (through being a request participant)

Their access will then be limited to the customer portal of course.

What would their role be in the project(s)?

Thanks for your quick reply!

Well I'm totally new to jira and I would just like to follow and comment on tasks from our small software developer, who has a free Jira plan.

Just logged in here with my Google credentials (so I could ask this question here) and I'm wondering if there is a way to follow and comment on their tasks. 

Do I understand from your answer that they need to implement JSD if they want to make this possible?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2020

Hi Kasper,

Well so If I get it you are actually a customer of them?

If you are part of their team and you need to interact with their development actions it sounders like you will need a license and act as a developer/project manager.

If however you are going to log bugs/feature requests with them I would suggest them setting up a JSD project for that (of which they can then link tickets to their internal development actions).

You will then be able to comment on your created issues and follow along if they reply on it/change the status.

So it depends on what your role would be within their project!

Hi Dirk,

The process currently is that we discuss requests from my side (email/phone). They add a task to an epic or project in their jira environment. And if they have their developments done or have a question for me they ask me again by email or phonecall.

It would be great if I could somehow get informed and/or comment on developments in tasks. Do you mean I need a paid licence for that to do that directly in jira?

Or should they set up a JSD project and I can more or less do the same (comment on and follow jira tasks), but in a separate environment? For example a jsd ticket with all the linked relevant jira tasks in it, is that how it works? 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2020

Excactly!

If you want to comment directly on their tasks/epics you'll need to be one of their paid licenses. (part of the team)

They could indeed set up a JSD project and instead of going by phone/email you could just create a ticket with them, they could link a story/epic/task to that and if they have a question/feedback for you they could just do that through the ticket. You would not be able to interact directly with the Linked issues (but they are working on that)

Imho, them setting up a JSD project seems more logical as you would really interact with them as a customer.

Good stuff, thanks Dirk, you've been very helpful!

Suggest an answer