How to mention the author in a comment?

zugch May 20, 2021

Is it possible to mention the task author in a comment?

You can mention other users with "@" or in brackets (text mode) like: [~username.xy]. I would like to use this feature to mention the author of the task like: [~author]. The idea is that jira would replace the author placeholder to the name of the author.

2 answers

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi @zugch ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please, can I ask you why would you like to do such a thing?

Usually these mentions are connected to the issue notifications - the mentioned user is automatically added to the watchers and watchers are notified about various events in the issues. Also reporter (author of the task) is notified about various events.

So, could it be that you are missing some notification?

Thank you.

zugch May 23, 2021

Hi @Hana Kučerová 

Because I often get tickets with the same question/task, I defined a standard answer to copy/paste into those tickets. To be more "personal", it would be nice to greet the authors with their names automaticly. And for that, it would be the easiest way if jira transformes [~author] to [~user.name].

So it is not about the notifications.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2021

Hi @zugch ,

thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any way, how to do this :-(.

0 votes
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2021
zugch May 23, 2021

Hi @Vero Rivas 

I already did know how to mention someone. My question was more about how to insert the authors name automatically. Thanks anyway!

Suggest an answer