It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I enable "Log work" within JIRA for time tracking for a project

Hello,

I have been looking into this matter for sometime now however all the resources I have browsed on issues similar to this have only gotten me but so close. In the project settings I have checked the schemes, work flows, issues layout, fields, permissions and just about everything else with no luck. I have checked the permissions and I see that it time tracking is enabled so I am not sure what steps I am missing. We need this feature to work for developers to track their time for tasks they are working on and be able to provide task time status reports to Clients.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Diego_J_Vasquez 

As (Jira Administrator on Jira Cloud) go to:

1. Jira Settings
  2. Under Issue Features there is Time Tracking.
  3. Enable Time tracking for Classic projects.

Jira Settings - Time Tracking.png

4. Also click on the Permission schemes and for the users you wish to be able to log work on issues, ensure that they have the Work On Issues permission. You can find this under Edit permissions, Time Tracking permissions (edit own worklogs, Work on Issues)

Time Tracking.png

-Mike

Hi @Diego_J_Vasquez ,

Welcome to the community. 

Are you on cloud or on server.

You might have to enable it on your instance in general before it can be used, but that depends if you are on server or cloud. 

Hi @Diego_J_Vasquez 

Maybe, this video tutorial by Atlassian team will help you to find the solution for time tracking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy6QzZBn-9k

Hi @Diego_J_Vasquez 

If you use Next-gen projects time tracking is not available yet https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Re-Jira-Cloud-Time-Tracking-Report/qaq-p/1288106/comment-id/64846#M64846

But as you mentioned about time status reports you can try an app like Time in Status for Jira Cloud or other similar apps for the server version.

Add-on automatically measures the time spent in a specific status. So you will have a helicopter view on your team delivery in Jira. 

Best Regards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

129 views 3 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you