How can I assign the reporter based on email in body of incoming email?

Joe Prespare December 18, 2019

Hello,

I'm new to Jira. Looking for a way to assign the reporter using content in an email coming from a web form, specifically and email address. Currently, my reporter only shows as the username from the web form, so all my tickets show one address. Just looking for how I can comb my incoming email for an email and then assign it as the reporter.

Thanks,

Joe

1 answer

0 votes
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2019

Hi @Joe Prespare 

By default, Jira's incoming mail handler always assigns the 'from email address' as the reporter, and if the user not found/cannot be created, then the default reporter is used.
Email body parsing is not available by default.

But you can use the Smart Handler Jira plugin to write those logic to parse the email body for a specific content using RegEx or create a lookup table to define whom to be set as the reporter.

Regards
Gikku

Joe Prespare December 18, 2019

Perfect. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I changed my web form to accommodate the user's email and that worked. 

Consequently, is there a way to reply to external emails to get more information? When I try to update the issue with comments, it doesn't send emails to the customer.

Suggest an answer