Create a Hardware 'Type' in Jira

Derek Maxwell December 16, 2019

I run a hardware failure analysis lab. We would like to use Jira for hardware issues but it looks like the only options for 'Type' are "Software", "Business" and "Service Desk". How do I create a "Hardware" Type? 

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

Hi @Derek Maxwell,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

Those "types" are just project templates with workflows and issue types, you can always start off with one of them and then modify the project to suit your needs.

Derek Maxwell December 16, 2019

Thanks Mikael. I did start by using the 'software' template. I have modified the entire project to meet my needs but I can't find how to change the 'Type' from software to hardware.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

The project type cannot be changed to a custom one. It is used by Jira to determine what features are available for the project. 

Like Derek Maxwell likes this
Derek Maxwell December 17, 2019

I see that JIRA cloud platform lets you extend the UI through a plugin. Is there a way to add a new type (like 'Hardware') with this approach?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2019

No, those templates are hardcoded and there is no app on the Marketplace that allows you to create your own templates. There is a suggestion, JRACLOUD-40141, to add the functionality to be able to create custom templates. You can always go and vote on it to show Atlassian that you would like to see that feature too.

Like Derek Maxwell likes this

Suggest an answer