Can someone walk me through these...?

Paul Miller November 10, 2017

I have three issues I'm trying to solve, and I'm too much of a JIRA n00b to make sense of the documentation, considering there seems to be 100 different ways to do these things. I'm hoping I can find someone who will do a Goto Meeting session with me, as I don't think the issues will be too complicated to fix for a JIRA power user:

1. I don't seem to have any transitions set up in my scheme. When I drag an issue from In Progress to Resolved in my SCRUM board, I want Resolution to be marked as DONE, but currently it's leaving it as Unresolved, so it always shows up in the "Closed Issues" screen. Additionally, if it is dragged back into TODO, I want the resolution to go back to Unresolved. 

2. In the project "Issues" menu down the left, I would like Open, Resolved, and Closed menu options instead of just Open and Done. This would be in addition to the various "Recently" options that are already there.

3. I can't seem to make sense of all the steps needed to give one user access to only a specific project. I think I'm most of the way there, just need someone to check my work and tell me the missing step.

We are happy to pay for your time. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2017

Hello,

1. You need to explicitly set resolution on the required transition. To perfrom this operation you should go to the workflow which is used by your issues and switch the workflow to the edit mode. Then you should find a transition where you would like to set resolution and add to the transition Update Issue Field post function. In the post function settings you should choose resolution field and its value. To unset resolution you should follow the same procedure but in the post function for the resolution field you need to choose None.

You can read more here about managing workflows:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/working-with-workflows-828787890.html

2. These options are actually available transitions for the status your issue in. That is why you should add to the workflow more outgoing transitions from the status. You can order transitions by setting status properties in the edit workflow mode.

You can read more about transition reordering here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/advanced-workflow-configuration-861253591.html?_ga=2.139440819.1470107203.1510346248-2022087201.1510176192#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-customisingtransitionsonviewissue

3. You should grant permissions to a project through the project permission scheme by assigning the roles of the project to certain permissions. Then if you want to add a user to the project you can grant the user one of the project roles. Or if you have many users then you should create a group and assign all the users to the group. Then you can assign the group to a certain role in the project.

You can read more about project roles here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-project-roles-776636382.html

Paul Miller November 13, 2017

Thank you Alexey that helps a lot! I appeciate you taking the time to provide detailed answers.

Suggest an answer