epic for multiple client

Michael Adegoroye December 15, 2022

Hi. Here is the request. I have a file that I have exported of our 2022 tasks, and I made updates and need to import as 2023 tasks. The epics have been created and the import file works when I limit it to 1 client, but when I try to use 2 clients, all issues get created but only the 1st client's issues are properly linked to the epics. There must be something wrong with my parent ID or issue ID

2 comments

Comment

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2022

@Michael Adegoroye 

Hi Michael:

Welcome to the community.  Can you clarify your ask  - What do you mean by 2 clients?  Can you provide an example on what you are trying to do?

Looking forward to your update, so I can assist you further.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

i want to create new project instance for the incoming year 2023. since we will be dealing with the same epics which we create this year 2022, 

i have import the epic 2022 and use it to create epic for 2023, i want to create group each epic for a specific client.

for example:

in year 2022, i have 15 client on my Jira board , each has about 100 epics each, i want to repeat the same without starting all over again in year 2023. 

so i import all the instances in year 2022, to use it for 2023, after importing , i could not group the epics according to each client. i.e client 1 to client 15

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2022

@Michael Adegoroye -

Just to confirm -

1) You have create a new project and imported all the EPICs from your previous project via bulk issue creation right?

2) The import file only contains EPICs?

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2022

@Michael Adegoroye -

Forgot to mention are you trying to bulk issue creations for Client 2, but you want those issues to be rolled-up to your specific Epic?

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Annotation 2022-12-15 202231.png

this is my import cvs file , so i want use this import to based on the clients, i have up to 15 clients.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2022

@Michael Adegoroye -

So each client has its own CSV?

no all the client is in 1 csv,  the csv contains 26,007 issues and 400 clients

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2022

@Michael Adegoroye -

Thanks for the updates.  

In your file, it looks like you have issues that rolls up to Epic via Epic Link column, then you have subtasks that rolls up to the parent issue.

Ideally - 

1. You should have all the Epics listed first where each of them will have unique Epic Name defined.
  2. For the issues that roll up in to the Epic, you should have the Epic Link column populated using the different Epic Name value from the appropriate Epic.
  3. For the subtask then you will use the ID defined in your IssueID column in the ParentID column appropriately/

Your original export file should also include the IssueType column.  However, it is not there from your image screenshot.

Here is an example of my CSV file for your reference

Issue Type Summary Epic Name Epic Link IssueID Parent ID
Epic Epic 1 MyEPIC1   1  
Epic Epic 2 MyEPIC2   2  
Story Story1   MyEPIC1 3  
Story Story2   MyEPIC1 4  
Story Story3   MyEPIC2 5  
Story Story4   MyEPIC2 6  
Sub-task SubTask1     7 6
Sub-task SubTask2     8 6

You will have to modify your exports and modify it accordingly.  Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Michael Adegoroye December 16, 2022

thanks  let me send the whole export file  to you so that you can  help me analyzed the file, kindly send me your email address.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2022

@Michael Adegoroye -

You can send me an extraction of your actual file to my email Joseph.Yin@viasat.com.  The file should contains your Epic issue, issues roll up to an Epic, and lastly subtasks roll up to the parent issue etc..  I don't need the entire export file.

Best, Joseph

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events