Newbie here

Jonathon_McCutcheon May 8, 2020

So just got started with my first Jira board!!

I humbly would love to hear any suggestions that all the pro's have learned, that they wish they knew when they created their first board?  I bet there are a lot!

Thanks in advance!!

4 comments

Comment

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2020

Hi @Jonathon_McCutcheon 

Great that you started. I can share few things.

• First of all I think you can ask yourself "What problems are you trying to solve?" Problems that you and your team constantly face.
  • What is your role? Are you a developer, project manager, portfolio manager or stakeholder.
  • Understand what type of board you want to create? Scrum or Kanban? It of course depends on your development methodology.
  • Do you just want to monitor the progress at high level or you want in depth details.
  • Do you want to manage one project with one board or multiple projects with one board?
  • How your team is organised?
  • How often you release? If you are releasing.
  • Are you using Jira to develop a software? or just getting things/tasks done?

I am assuming that you are interested in Agile board, this page has good information about these boards. 

If you have a specific question about some specific feature that you are looking for then you can always ask here. If you answers to the questions above then I am sure people will have some suggestions for you.

Ravi

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Jonathon_McCutcheon May 9, 2020

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_   Thank you so much! Everyone is so helpful in here, this is outstanding!  I have some of those questions answered, but you gave me a great start at finding some of the other ones out!  

Seems like roles and the tasks is a little confusing, because it looks like Atlassian gives us a lot of configuration and design options!  Going to enjoy sinking my teeth into that one!

Thanks!

Jon

Like # people like this
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2020

Hi @Jonathon_McCutcheon 

If you are just setting out on the Agile journey you could watch the Atlassian University course https://training.atlassian.com/lfh-jira-essentials-agile-mindset which will introduce you to a lot of Agile principles whilst showing you how to achieve this in Jira. This is currently free of charge due to the Covid Pandemic so I would take advantage of this now. In addition to this course there are also study groups here  that you can join to share your experiences. 

Also remember that Jira Software despite its name can actually support any team interested in working in an Agile way not just Software development teams. 

Phill

Like Jonathon_McCutcheon likes this
Jonathon_McCutcheon May 9, 2020

@Phill Fox Thank you very much! This is great information! I will get on it immediately!!

Awesome!

Bet Regards,

Jon

Like Phill Fox likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2020

Hi @Jonathon_McCutcheon,

Very quick simple answer, I wish I had realized that the board filter needs to be shared with others for them to be able to see items on the board.

-Jimmy

Jonathon_McCutcheon May 10, 2020

Thank you, that is a good one!

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2020

Hi @Jonathon_McCutcheon 

Welcome to the community!

Jonathon_McCutcheon May 11, 2020

Hi Monika, Thank you and love the training videos you do! Awesome!

Like Monika Rani likes this
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2020

@Jonathon_McCutcheon I am glad you liked my videos! Keep watching I will upload more.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events