Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I am new to Jira and feel a bit lost

A Zanad August 20, 2019

Hi,

We've adopted Jira software (cloud) for all our projects management and I am trying to figure out what templates / project types would suit us most.  I have Agile background and briefly used Jira back in 2015.

I've noticed that Jira software offers Next-gen project templates and initially thought to use Kanban for bug fixing issues and Scrum type projects for the rest.  When I was just about to create one of the new projects I was given an option to switch to Classic templates where I found Bug Tracking project template.

Now I am feeling lost.  Should I stick with the new Next-gen projects?  Is it quite popular with the new users?  I know that not all functionalities been added yet, but it's quite easy to setup.  

Or, for example, shall I go with the classic Bug tracking template for bug fixing?

I suppose once I have answers to the above, then I can dive in and learn the specific template.

Thank you and any help would be appreciated. 

2 comments

Comment

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2019

@A Zanad Hello! We have lots of folks who can help — I'm going to move your post to that collection, so you can get the best possible answers. 😄

Daniel Fietta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

Hi @A Zanad,

The two types are very different. While the classic projects are still using the configurations based on shareable screens, schemes, workflows, etc., the next-gen projects have a dedicated configuration per project that the project admin can take over.

So the classic projects are more work for the Jira admin who has to take over the creation and configuration of projects, whereas you can give users the ability to create their own next-gen projects and configure them on their own.

As you mentioned, the next-gen projects are still lacking (important) features, we still mostly use classic projects to have the full functionalities and to prevent messed-up configurations. We can see that people create new next-gen projects, but actually don't have any idea about configuring projects way too often. This results in a lot of additional work sometimes.

Hope this helps you to decide.

Best regards,
Daniel
STAGIL

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events