Back to Jira....

Lowell Liwat January 29, 2020

I had used Jira before 2011. Now I am back in 2020. What is new?

4 comments

Comment

Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2020

Hello @Lowell Liwat I've been using Jira for more than ten years and the core functionalities haven't change much. A couple of things that I can think of are.

• If you are on cloud you could natively have roadmaps that those were not an option back then.
  • Jira service desk is a new product that is more focused on SLAs and customer support
  • You now have triggers in your workflow that help you to automatically transition your issue based on other actions in other tools like bitbucket as an example
  • What used to be greenhopper is now Jira software and now kanban boards allow you to have a backlog view which wasn't there back then.

I'm sure there are plenty more, those are a couple that came to my mind now. 

Like Hannah McKenzie likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Lowell glad to see you are coming back.  I have been using Jira for about the same amount of time and while Jira today has all the same core features as Jira in 2011 I would have to say just about everything else has been improved or is a newly added feature.  I think the best way to move around the product would be to setup a free cloud instance of Jira Core, Jira Software and Jira Service Desk.  Use the demos to see the features and setup a few of your own projects.  That should get you up to speed very quickly.  Jira cloud has some features not available to server and server has some features not available on cloud but the core of what they do is the same.  Have fun playing with your free account.

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

Hi @Lowell Liwat, glad you're back!

Are you using Jira Software Cloud? If so, you may find this an interesting read.

Cheers,

Hannah

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

Hi @Lowell Liwat 

Welcome back !

Some of the major changes were introduced in Jira 7 which you can learn here:

For example, Jira Agile is now known as Jira Software.

There is also the enterprise releases introduced:

The latest Jira version at the moment is Jira 8.6.X. You can learn more from the release notes of each version release :

Do let us know if you have any other questions :)

Regards,
Adrian Stephen

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events