Top 3 features I´d love to have in JSM...

Hi all.

I'd like to share 3 features that I thing would be...

giphy

to have in Jira Service Management:

1. Ability to limit which values are viewable on Select List (cascading) and Select List (single select) in Portal configuration (i.e. on the Request forms). Use case: not every Request is the same and this give us admins a chance to customize without creating a new custom field.
  2. The fields "Request form description" and "Request form help and instructions" should be 
    a) rich text fields with HTML formatting capabilities or at least
    b) bigger (drag the corner to make them bigger) so it is easier to write in them and view.
  3. "Introduction text" field on the "Portal Settings" config page should be a rich text fields with HTML formatting capabilities so we can have added config opportunities. 

But that, of course, are just my thoughts... :)  I´d love to talk to some Atlassian researchers or the PM about these.

Thanks,
KGM

14 comments

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2022

Hi @Craig Nodwell , @Walter Buggenhout , @Darryl Lee @John Funk   - feel free to chime in :)

Thanks,
KGM

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2022

Hey @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ,

For 1. we tend to solve that using Insight custom fields.

I'll think up a few of my own but it's gonna take some time to filter out the real top 3 :)

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2022

1. Create a separate issue type for each request and use contexts for custom field - it works just fine. I use contexts for most of my custom fields  and they are a real help.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2022

@Sergei Gridnevskii , doesn't that cause a massive amount of overhead and maintenance?

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2022

@Sergei Gridnevskii yes, contexts are great! However, one can only have a single context per project so that is a bit of limiting factor.

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2022

@Dirk Ronsmans no, it does not. GUI is not the best but I can live with it.

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen I think you can make 10 contexts for one field if you have 10 issue types in a project. 

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

No that is the thing, @Sergei Gridnevskii , once you have selected a project in a context, that project is not available from the list in other contexts. That is the limitation I was referring to.

Like Jehan Gonsalkorale likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

These suggestions/improvements are currently on top of my mind:

• Customer and organization management:
    • Allow bulk addition of customers to organisations
    • Determine sharing of request handling per project, either default private or shared with the organization
  • User management (both customers and agents) in general, it's too complicated:
    • Project > Channels & People > Customer
    • Project > Channels & People > Invite team
    • Project > Project settings > Customer permissions
    • Project > Project settings > Customer notifications
    • Project > Project settings > People
    • Atlassian Administration > Directory > Users
    • Atlassian Administration > Products > Manage access
  • Further customization of the customer portal
  • Insight features compared to Server/DC
Like # people like this
Christopher Skoropada _Appsvio_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 21, 2022

Hi

One of my TOP features Atlassian just released. It's grouping request types from many service desks into one section. Atlassian named it 'Topics'. It's a must-have for every multi-project JSM implementation. 

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen You can do HTML "Introduction text" with this app using the banner feature. 

@Dave Mathijs User management is crazy in JSM, that's true. For bulk add/update customers and other customer & organization needs you can find in this app. 

Both apps come from my company but they are very useful in the context you mentioned.

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Your number one should be fixed once Atlassian enables Forge custom fields on the Portal. Then it will be easy to achieve with any app. 

Cheers, 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2022

@Christopher Skoropada _Appsvio_  thanks! I was not aware of us now being able to us group together Request Types from different JSM projects - finally! I can't see any documentation. Do have link to any that you could share, please?  Takk, KGM

Christopher Skoropada _Appsvio_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 22, 2022

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen Seems like this feature is available in the Premium edition 🤯 but if you have one, go to Customize on the Portal and then Edit home page layout. You can find more here and here.

Help_Center_-_Jira_Service_Management.png

This is a place where you select request types from different service desks into one topic. 

Jira_Service_Management_and_Slack___board___Appsvio.png

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2022

Thanks @Christopher Skoropada _Appsvio_ 

Topics are only available on Premium and Enterprise plans.

Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2022

Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen

Thanks for your input! I love the discussion you've sparked here. Let me provide some info. 

There is a limit of one context per custom field, unfortunately. We are planning on changing that at some point but the work effort is very large so it will not be available in the next year or so. @Dirk Ronsmans mentioned a very viable workaround using asset fields (Insight), which is probably the better approach in the short- to medium-term. 

I've asked about the rich text and being able to edit the size of the "Request form description" and "Request form help and instructions" are also very reasonable requests that I've asked the team about. We definitely want this in the future but I'll wait for engineers to chime in before I speak out of turn. 

I'll share this post internally and will be in touch. 

Best regards,

Jehan

Product Manager, Jira Service Management

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2022

Thank you @Jehan Gonsalkorale  Just want to make a good product great :) Or at least assist in that journey.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing back from you with some updates.

Thanks,
KGM

Like Jehan Gonsalkorale likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events