Tips for a successful launch of Jira Service Management/Confluence

Jerry Lafferty February 11, 2022

Hello,

We are kicking off our implementation of Jira Service Management. Any tips to a successful implementation? Any things to avoid or lessons learned you can share would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Jerry

3 comments

Comment

Jason Lane February 11, 2022

Hi Jerry,

Welcome aboard and I hope you get support and help along the way. I have learned 1 valuable process for our JIRA and that is JIRA Automation https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Jira-Automation-all-the-resources-you-need-in-one-page/ba-p/1388465

Its the best way to help automate the continuous task's and issues. So 1 example is a EPIC that needs to be raised monthly is now automated and is sent straight into a Kanban board and assigned without having to lift a figure. Its so valuable and I hope the link I provided helps you as much as it did me :) 

Thanks

Like # people like this

Thanks Jason! I will check it out.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2022

Hi, @Jerry Lafferty ,

My advice is not particularly technical. Yes, JSM is very capable and you can make it do many things but you need to cause people to want to use it. 

Take the time to make your portal and request types look inviting. Find custom icons to help convey your meaning (I recommend icons8; free but inexpensive to buy and support them). Think about helpful and even entertaining help text for request types and fields. Get to know ProForma to make cool dynamic forms.

After you get it stood up and rolled out, communicate, communicate, communicate that it is out there. Once out there, listen to your user base and tune based on their feedback.

This worked out well for me to where I now have 8 service desks with a 9th requested from a variety of departments. With this approach, we now have a "place" where everyone knows they can go to request... all the things... from the company (including now, a COVID-19 self-reporting facility with contact tracing capture)

Like # people like this

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much! Since the Service Desk is the front line of any IT org, it is critical to have a solution that users want to go to or at least don't mind going to. And if we make the experience great, they will use it and spread the word.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2022

Start thinking now, @Jerry Lafferty how you could expand this to other parts of your organization. I now have:

• IT (duh)
  • Workplace
  • Legal requests
  • People Operations (HR)
  • Payroll
  • Accounts Payable
  • Procurement requests
  • Product bug/defect submissions
  • Merch and logistics (coming soon)

It took time to get here by working to get "in their heads" and work out how to operate THEIR worlds. Some of them I had to POC first and show them. But get here I did. It is rewarding to get comments like "I refuse to work payroll anywhere that doesn't let me use Jira to manage my work" and "I couldn't keep up with all the legal matters I have to deal with without Jira". 

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events