Synchronized comments between linked Jira Service Management & Jira Software issue

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hello Everyone!

I've been doing a lot of searching both here and on Google and I haven't found any really good leads for a solution.The problem I'm trying to solve is that we have a Jira Service Management project for our support team and a Jira Software project for our development team.

When a bug is reported in JSM and a JSW bug is created. Comments are made half on the JSM issue and half on the JSW issue so it's very hard for people to follow along.
What I want to do is find a way to have a single source of truth when it comes to the comments, but I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this.

I'm looking to crowd source opinions on this matter.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

2 comments

Comment

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon 

If the issues are linked to each other you can use automation rules to copy the comments by using smartvalues.

{{triggerIssue.comments.last.body}}

Check my rule here.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 16.53.16.png

Not a sync but this is to copy from one issue to another. The idea is to update the original JSM ticket with all the updates happening internally. You also have the option to add/copy a public comment so customer can also be notified. 

If made a detailed tutorial as well to explain how it works.

Ravi

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Thanks @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_!

I'll definitely check out the tutorial.  I'll also chat with the stakeholders to see if this would be a reasonable way to solve this issue.

Thanks for the help!

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this
Ola Carlander October 26, 2021

Did you get this to work? I am getting "No actions performed" in the audit log with the details:  

"Branch rule / related issues
No related issues could be found."
Not sure if it has to do with permissions and if so how I would set that in my on prem installation of Jira (and/or JSM)

SyncComment1.PNGSyncComment2.PNG

Roshan Milinda November 18, 2021

@Ola Carlander I see you only have one project on the screenshot, You need to go to global settings and change the scope to both projects

Ola Carlander November 19, 2021

Thanks for the input! But the project on the other server is not visible to me from this page, I can only see projects on the same JSM site (not from my linked JS site). 

This is what you refer to right? 

Scope.PNG

Roshan Milinda November 21, 2021

@Ola Carlander Sorry I was referring to Jira and JSM cloud instances. If you have admin access under the same login you should be able to see both. 

Ola Carlander November 22, 2021

I have admin access on both. but it is not under the same login as JSM and our on prem JS server does not have the same user database. 

I do not think it is possible to have the same login accessing both? 

Roshan Milinda November 22, 2021

Yah. Probably best to talk to support team 

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023

We're trying to keep comments about the customer for the issue in the JSM project, and comments about the bug in JIRA.  I'm curious as to how you have security setup.  Are all of your developers setup as Agents?  If they are, this might be the remedy to remove that access.  Then the developers are focusing on the bug and the Agents are focused on the customer.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events