Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict customer access to specific projects in portal & Allow them to add new customers

Simon Wong September 23, 2021

Hi!

Within Jira Service Management Cloud, looking for a way to restrict customers to specific projects within a service desk portal but still allow them to add new customers/participants to the project.

Saw this article below that restricts customer's access to specific projects. But while testing,  when creating requests via email, CC’d emails were not included in the ticket and were not able to reply or access the ticket.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/how-to-restrict-customers-access-to-specific-projects-only-in-jira-service-desk-cloud-815566896.html

Is there a configuration that would allow:

1. Restricted project access for customers in the service desk portal
  2. Allow customers to add participants by CC’ing them in an email request

Thanks,
Simon

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Simon Wong September 24, 2021

I don't think it so much the Permissions that are getting disabled but more the fact that if you make the service project accessible to 'anyone on the web' to allow people to CC in other people then you won't be able to restrict access to other customers from a different project to see it from the portal since you allow 'anyone from the web' to use its service.

If I understand correctly from this link, you can only restrict access to the project within the portal by setting the Project Service Access to 'Customers added by agents and admins'. This configuration doesn't allow customers to add new ones.

But in my case, when clients submit tickets via email, they CC people that haven't yet been added to our Jira customer directory which won't make them participants in the ticket.  For them to be able to be added, I would need to set that configuration to 'anyone on the web' which seems to make it impossible then to restrict access to the project in the portal.

The permissions scheme doesn't offer the ability to specify a customer org.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2021

Hi Simon - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I assume that number 1 above is working for you - that's pretty straight forward.

For number 2, I am not aware of being able to do this through CC'ing them in an email request. But it might be possible. 

But if the customer is viewing the issue in the portal view, they should be able to click the Share button and add an email address there. 

Hi John,

I know that you are able to allow customers to add participants by CC'ing them through email requests, see attachment. But by doing so, it disables the ability to restrict project access for customers. Is there a way to have both, 1 & 2 at the same time?

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.18.28 AM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2021

So exactly how does it disable the restriction? 

Seems like if the Service project access setting is set to 'Anyone on the web', you can no longer restrict access to this project in the portal, allowing customers from other projects to see it.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2021

So, it changes the Permission Scheme? 

For customers yes. Are there any sets of configurations that would allow customers to add participants/non-customers via email requests but at the same time restrict their portal access to specific projects where they have been added?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2021

What I am trying to get to is how the permissions are being disabled. If it is the Permission Scheme, you can probably modify that scheme to do the portal access. 

From what I gathered here, the only way to restrict a project in the portal to a non-customer of that project is to have the Service project access set to 'customers added by agents or admins'. 

But I need it to be set to 'anyone on the web' so people can add participants via CC'ing them in the email request. This makes it so that anyone can see that project in the portal. 

Tried with the Permission scheme but since it is set to 'anyone on the web' it figures that anyone is a customer.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2021

Ah, I think I understand now. No, when you open the project to anyone on the web, it's open to anyone. Otherwise, how would it know who your customers are going to invite. 

I think what you are looking for is another option that says Customers added by other Customers. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events