cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirements gathering for ITSM

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2022

Hello All,
I would like to understand from all of you the key considerations while designing and implementing a full-blown ITSM implementation. What potential pitfalls should be considered; how to engage the client for the initial discussions/ discovery?
Thanks in advance!!

4 comments

Comment

Mary Mascari February 10, 2022

Yes, please! 

Eric Barnes February 10, 2022

I have setup a number of ITSM systems (not just JIRA). The number one issue is not a system issue but a cultural change. I strongly recommend using a ITSM standard for issue handling (ITL) and train your agents on proper “issue” handling, not ticket handling. That is the main shift. Too many times, service desks focus on ticket counts as a measure of performance when they should focus on issue management. Ticket counts are meaningless. If you focus on issue management you can isolate root cause more effective, quickly identify a trending issue and act on it. In basic terms you are able to say “how many incidents of this same issue are we dealing with?” then put a plan in place to address the issue. You can have 100 tickets that deal with the same issue (counting tickets) but they are all related to the same (ONE) issue (issue management). You solve the ONE issue, you close the 100 tickets at once.

Like # people like this

Let me know if you have some specific setup/management questions related to ITSM. I would be happy to help.

Our system is currently set for Service Desk Management (ITSM) and JIRA Software (Agile development) and we have designed the two to manage all issues as intake to both.

Like PODISHETTY SUDHEER likes this
Mary Mascari February 10, 2022

Not to hijack your post, Gaurav, but here's my situation, and maybe yours is similar.

I'm a project manager, not an ITIL/ITSM expert. I need to lead my team through the process of setting up JSM as our IT Help Desk. 

My problem is that I don't know what I don't know. I can't even list out what kinds of requirements I need to ask them about. They don't have a strong vision, either, so I'm having trouble even putting together a project plan.

Maybe this is an ITIL/ITSM issue more than a Jira issue, and I need to look around there for resources. But if anyone has any sort of guide, I would be very grateful. 

I don't have a guide. I will look for some resources, but if you want to schedule some time, I can walk you through the basics to get you started. Personally, I think once you go through the building blocks, you start seeing the process then you can communicate and are able to implement.

I will post some resources here as I come across so everyone can take advantage. Just let me know if you are interested in a brief 1:1 and we can figure out how to exchange info.

Jason Brown February 11, 2022

Also not seeking to hijack thread but my question is still in the "requirements" area.

How do you create a tech stack/service portfolio/service catalog in JSM?

We are seeking to enumerate/account for all services/software across the org.

Additionally, are we able to export a list into a csv?

Thank you in advance for any help!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events