Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at Jira Service Management which appears to have asset management module

Eric McDonald August 18, 2021

How does Insight work?

Can it be used for managing both hardware and software assets?

Can it be used to auto-discover hardware and software assets? If so, how?

Can it be used for manging number of licenses against installs?

Can it link into MECM?

Thanks

Eric

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2021

Hi @Eric McDonald , welcome to the Community!

>How does Insight work?

If you have Jira Service Management Data Center or Jira Service Management Cloud (Premium subscription level or higher) you will have access to Insight Asset Management which allows for light CMDBs to be created within Jira where objects (aka assets) can be tied to Jira issues. I'd recommend looking into their documentation for more info.

>Can it be used for managing both hardware and software assets?

Yes, it can be used for hardware, software, user information, or anything else you can think of.

>Can it be used to auto-discover hardware and software assets? If so, how?

This is handled through a second app called Insight Discovery

>Can it be used for managing number of licenses against installs?

Yes, tracking license availability/assignment is a common use case.

>Can it link into MECM?

Yes, there are a number of free integration apps for Insight, one of which connects to SCCM/MECM though only for Data Center installs.

Eric McDonald August 19, 2021

Thanks Michael, that's really helpful.

Alexis Neveu August 19, 2021

Hi,

I would just add that the current integrated version of Insight (the one that comes with the Cloud Premium version) is suffering from limitations that make it hard to automate data import from external data sources, like SCCM. This kind of integration is reported to be a top priority, but as far as I know, there is unfortunatly  no ETA communicated by Atlassian team... The only current options are CSV/JSON manual import, or buiding your own automated import using the Insight REST API. Regarding Insight Discovery tool, I assume this should be the right tool to use to get your asset data into Insight, but there does not seem to be somewhere an up-to-date documentation about how to use it with the integrated version of Insight.

Any feedback about theses topics would be much appreciated :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events