Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming emails and changing a custom field.

Mark Baker October 1, 2020

We have a large number of support tickets raised by users emailing our support email address rather than logging in. The users all have email domains that relate to their location. Ideally I would like as the email comes in for Jira to be able to look at the domain and for it to update the ticket for the custom field to match their location and subequently it would put the ticket in the right queue

i.e.

Email address incoming                           Custom field selection

john.smith@LondonHeadoffice.com      =  London 

Sam.Adams@Liverpooldirect.com        =  Liverpool 

Ryan.Mitchie@Norfolktown.com           = Norfolk

Is this possible?  I am new to Jira so I have no idea where to start.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

Hi and welcome to the community!

Tip one: try to get the users to go to the portal! There is so much efficiency to be realized by that. (improve  capture information and also offer them knowledgebase articles for self-service) To make the portal taste even better for the customers, consider the app refined

Tip two: I assume you use Jira Service Desk? Cloud or Server?

Ideally you would want to add the users to an organization and sort the queues by this, but I suppose that you don't want to manually enter all of those customers.

There is a feature request for connect domain with organization in server.  

A couple of ways to get around it until they released this:

1. Similar thread for a workaround using the API's here 
  2. Use Automation for Jira app (if server, this is native in Cloud). Read how to do it in this article  
  3. Use scriptrunner addon to update organization in a postfunction on the create transition.
Mark Baker October 2, 2020

Hi Lisa, 

Thank you for replying so quickly,  yes we use Jira Server Desk - Server (we host it) 

I fear we may never get these type of users to login to the portal.  We do have a few thousand users who use the portal very succesfully, but we provide the email address for when users have issues with their web browser or internet filter issues.... meaning the only way they can get to us is via email....

I hadn't seen scriptrunner before, it looks like this might be the way forward to resolve this... I will check it out

Knowing the above, do you think this is probably the right approach?

Thanks
Mark

Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

oh I see. Well it seems like your customers is not avoiding the portal and that is good :-)

I reckon Scriptrunner or Automation for jira will do the trick.

Scriptrunner is a fantastic addon!Not only does it give admins a whole lot more tools to make Jira fit the organizational needs even better, it also gives the end users improved search functionality with issuefunction in...JQL's. Also - you don't need to groovyscript everything yourself, the addon contains loads of configurable postfunctions also. Scriptrunner is worth every penny!

I think for this specific use case the Automation for Jira might be a quicker and easier solution, and this addon can be used for so much more also. 

Good luck!

Mark Baker October 2, 2020

Thank you Lisa, I have downloaded and I am playing right now! (you should really get commission!) :-) 

Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2020

Have fun :-)

Also - close this question as answered to help everyone in the community to focus on the unanswered questions :-)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events