Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use approval workflow from an emailed request

Lindsay Siurna October 3, 2019

Hi, 

I am just setting up my Service Desk and am tying to figure out the best way to handle approvals.  I have the following issue types:

- Service Request - which will be used for most things

- Service Request with Approvals - which will be used for approvals.  

The workflow for Service Request with Approvals is set to automatically send the ticket to the approver if it is created in the portal.  But if the user emails, the ticket appears in the waiting for support status.  I have to use the move function to move it to the Service Request with Approvals Issue Type which is fine but the I can't get approval because I cant go back to the approval status.  Should I add another approval status from waiting for support?  I don't want the portal requests to get approved again. 

How do other people handle this?

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Lindsay Siurna ,

You can create a transition from Waiting for Support to Waiting for Approval with a Condition to only display the transition if the issue has not previously been in the Waiting for Approval status. If you have an automation plugin, you could also set this up to be done automatically instead of needing to transition it yourself. I don't think it's possible with the out of the box automation unfortunately.

Otherwise, you could modify one of the workflows to not have a Waiting for Support status, in which case Jira will ask you which status you would like to assign to the issue after moving it. There are other options you can play around with, but if you don't want to change the workflows at all then the first option is probably your best bet.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events