Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Jira Service Desk via email only

Kai Neumann March 6, 2019

Hey,

I am currently evaluating Jira Service Desk and encountered 3 big problems that will be some kind of a showstopper.
1. We have our JIRA only accesible in our company-network, therefore we do not want to use some kind of customer portal which is not accessible to the users. Tickets should be handled via mail only. However, I did not find any possibility to make that work. Does JSD not support ticket-handling via email only?
2. It is possible to create a 'mail channel' for incoming requests. However, I can somehow only create one channel for a Service-Desk project. Isn't it possible to have different channels for different request-types (like sales@company, helpdesk@company, etc)?
3. All outgoing emails are sent using the 'default' SMTP but I am not able to configure a second SMTP (so 'default' seems to be the one and only here). This results in the fact that even my Service-Desk projects use the same outgoing mail, just the 'reply-to' field is different. Is there any way to have a seprate outgoing mail for each mail-handler?

Best Regards

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2019

Hi Kai,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community, we are happy to have you here!

1 - The customer portal is not possible to disable, we have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-1012
As a workaround, you can hide all the request types for the users and customers to do not create tickets through the portal and only receive requests via email, but they will still be able to access the portal, but only if they have the link to the portal.
For example:
Go to Project Settings > Request types. Then for each request type, you will click on "Edit groups" and uncheck the checkboxes. This configuration will make the request type to be hidden from the customer portal.
Then, to make sure that customers won't receive the link to the portal, go to Customer notifications > Edit templates. On this page you must remove the:

<a class="jsd-issue-link" href="${request.url}">View request</a> 
<span class="jsd-link-separator">&middot;</span>
<a class="jsd-unsubscribe-link" href="${request.disable.notifications.url}">Turn off this request's notifications</a>

2 - On each project, you can have two mail channels for two different request types, one email is created automatically by Jira, so it will be sales@myinstance.atlassian.net and the other one you can add a custom email address.
We also have a feature request suggesting the ability to add multiple email address for one project:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-798

3 - You can change the project email and add an email from a domain you own. You can check the details on the documentation below:
- Configuring Jira Cloud to send emails on behalf of your domain

For this question, we also have a feature request suggesting to provide the ability to have separate mail server configuration for Jira SD:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-2075

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events