Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random ticket number

Arnaud January 28, 2020

Hello guys,

I am evaluating JIRA Service Desk platform to potentially use it for our support ticketing system with our end-user.

Today the ticket number increments for each new ticket. My problem with that is that it gives too much visibility on the quantity of ticket we are handling.

Is it possible to use random or pseudo-ran number for a new ticket?

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks,

Arnaud

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Hi @Arnaud  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What's the real issue with a sequential number? How many issues would have to be in there initially to mask how much the team is doing? In other words, if the first ticket someone saw was ABC-512, would that help?

Arnaud January 29, 2020

Hi John - there is no real issue :), this is just me discovering the system and trying to see what I can do. My original intent was to hide this. Let's take an example:

Customer A create a ticket on Monday morning and gets assigned ticket number 1000
Other customer(s) create other ticket(s)
Customer A create a new ticket on Tuesday morning and gets assigned ticket number 1020

Customer A can assess the size of the company (or size of customer base/customer issue/support team) by looking at this number. My question was just around the potential possibility to hide this for the customer.
It seems that this is not something possible today which is totally fine.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2020

I understand - thank you for sharing the example. I guess, bottom line is that the functionality is not available. Can you click on the Accept answer button in the email on or this web page to close this one out? Thanks!

Arnaud January 30, 2020

Done. Thanks for the clarification and quick answer, John!

0 votes
Sanjay Mistry January 28, 2020

@Arnaud - transparency is a hard pill to swallow. But after you have had a few hundred of them it will become just another number. I suppose you are probably at an early stage and are trying to kill many fires while still showing that you are delivering value. I'm sure this is not what you want to hear.

Arnaud January 29, 2020

Sanjay - your statement is correct and we are at an early stage so the ticket number is only a couple digit today.

My question is more about knowing if this is possible which it seems that it is not which is fine. Our current  system do not have this ability so I was just wondering if this is something that was doable in Service Desk Jira.

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2020

Arnaud,

The issue number is core to how Jira Service Desk works and generating your own if possible could lead to possible errors.  I am not really following the issue here.  Even if you were to generate the number on your own it is irrelevant to the end user because they would not know it is being randomly generated and you could end up with higher ticket numbers then if you just allowed them to generate sequentially.  Most ticketing / support systems I have used sequentially number issues so this is not unique to Jira Service Desk.  

Arnaud January 29, 2020

Hi Brant - thanks for the quick answer. There is no real issue, I am just wondering if we could hide the number of ticket that is being created/processed in the service desk project.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events