It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Random ticket number

Hello guys,

I am evaluating JIRA Service Desk platform to potentially use it for our support ticketing system with our end-user.

Today the ticket number increments for each new ticket. My problem with that is that it gives too much visibility on the quantity of ticket we are handling.

Is it possible to use random or pseudo-ran number for a new ticket?

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks,

Arnaud

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John_Funk Fancyface McSparklypants Jan 29, 2020

Hi @Arnaud  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What's the real issue with a sequential number? How many issues would have to be in there initially to mask how much the team is doing? In other words, if the first ticket someone saw was ABC-512, would that help?

Hi John - there is no real issue :), this is just me discovering the system and trying to see what I can do. My original intent was to hide this. Let's take an example:

Customer A create a ticket on Monday morning and gets assigned ticket number 1000
Other customer(s) create other ticket(s)
Customer A create a new ticket on Tuesday morning and gets assigned ticket number 1020

Customer A can assess the size of the company (or size of customer base/customer issue/support team) by looking at this number. My question was just around the potential possibility to hide this for the customer.
It seems that this is not something possible today which is totally fine.

John_Funk Fancyface McSparklypants Jan 30, 2020

I understand - thank you for sharing the example. I guess, bottom line is that the functionality is not available. Can you click on the Accept answer button in the email on or this web page to close this one out? Thanks!

Done. Thanks for the clarification and quick answer, John!

0 votes
Brant_Schroeder Fancyface McSparklypants Jan 28, 2020

Arnaud,

The issue number is core to how Jira Service Desk works and generating your own if possible could lead to possible errors.  I am not really following the issue here.  Even if you were to generate the number on your own it is irrelevant to the end user because they would not know it is being randomly generated and you could end up with higher ticket numbers then if you just allowed them to generate sequentially.  Most ticketing / support systems I have used sequentially number issues so this is not unique to Jira Service Desk.  

Hi Brant - thanks for the quick answer. There is no real issue, I am just wondering if we could hide the number of ticket that is being created/processed in the service desk project.

@Arnaud - transparency is a hard pill to swallow. But after you have had a few hundred of them it will become just another number. I suppose you are probably at an early stage and are trying to kill many fires while still showing that you are delivering value. I'm sure this is not what you want to hear.

Sanjay - your statement is correct and we are at an early stage so the ticket number is only a couple digit today.

My question is more about knowing if this is possible which it seems that it is not which is fine. Our current  system do not have this ability so I was just wondering if this is something that was doable in Service Desk Jira.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Desk

ANNOUNCING: Early access ITSM features in Jira Service Desk

Meet the new and improved IT service management template for Jira Service Desk! Here are a few of the powerful features ready and waiting for you: Better focus on ITSM - clear ticket categories...

223 views 3 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you