Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a status from a project entirely

Inge March 15, 2020

Hello,

I have created a custom status for my project, and now I wish to delete it. I realize I could repurpose it, but I'd rather just remove it from the project entirely.

The documentation I find explains how to remove it from the workflow, which I have done, but it still appears in the dropdown of available statuses. It is not in use anywhere else.

The documentation indeed states, "Deleting a status in the workflow editor only removes the status from the workflow you're currently editing."

So IS it even possible to remove a status from a project entirely?

Thank you in advance.

3 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Inge March 15, 2020

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but the workflows area in the Jira settings also don't seem to reflect the workflows I have in my different request types in the service desk.

Steven van Dieten February 2, 2021

I guess deleting statussen from Jira Servicedesk is still not possible?

0 votes
Inge March 15, 2020

I actually already found this status area in the Jira settings, but it confused me even more. I don't see the status listed there that I'm trying to delete, and I also see statuses in this area that don't appear in my workflows such as "build broken" and "building".

0 votes
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2020

Hello @Inge and welcome to the community!

Have you already published the workflow after removing the status from the workflow?

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2020

you can also go into the project settings and then click on Statuses. From there you should see the option to delete the status. Make sure its not associated with any workflows. Let me know if this answers you question.

status.pngstatus2.png

Inge March 16, 2020

@edwin vasquez  Thank you for trying to help me. I have included some screenshots here. I really would like to find out how to resolve this.

Here is what I see on my status screen. I notice the header (top left) for you just says "Jira", but for me it says "Jira Service Desk." Does this make a difference?

JiraStatuses.PNG

And here is a screenshot of the status I want to remove from the workflow of one of my service desk request types:
JiraUnwantedStatus.png

Looking through my project workflows, all of the statuses (default) that are available to me are the following:

waiting for support
waiting for customer
escalated
waiting for approval
cancelled
done
work in progress
pending
open
reopened

+my now unwanted custom status.

However, you will notice that several of these are missing from the "Jira settings" area, and there are statuses included there that are not present in any of my projects, such as: resolved, closed, building build broken

This makes me think somehow I'm not looking in the right area?

I'd really appreciate anyone's help figuring this out!

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2020

This is stranger behavior. I have never seen that. From what I know, this is the only place for you to delete and view all statuses. Im wondering if there is something wrong in the back end. I would suggest creating a ticket with support to see what they find because to me, it seems like you are looking in the right place.

To confirm you are in the right place, I would also search the using the Search Jira admin option and search for Statuses. This should bring you to the statuses page.

status.png

Marley Arborico July 29, 2021

@Edi thank you for the help! Do you have to be a site admin? I'm a project lead and project admin for a Jira Software project and am unable to find the "Statuses" tab in my side bar or to remove the status once I've created it through my kanban board > board settings > columns. I'm using the simplified workflow and have seen an x that allows me to delete a status for certain statuses at certain times, but that's no longer available for any of the statuses on my board.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events