Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem to display right excel and charts macro?

Fred Erick July 2, 2020

Hi,

I have  added an excel speadsheet to Confluence with the Excel Macro.

Now I want to diplay a chart of that table:

MonateWerte
Nov 19242
Dez19150
Jan20192
Feb20175

But it only shows this:

chart6547169376392457212.jpg

But I want a graph like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-02 um 14.30.27.png

My chart settings are:

Type: line

Allignement: vertical

Table:blank

Columne: 1,2

Strange thing, the bar chart is working:

chart4011823229925877266.jpg

What Am I doing wrong?

One more thing, I have some tables with filter, that changes the chart:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-02 um 14.59.18.png

Is that possible as well in Confluence with the nativ macros?

1 answer

2 votes
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2020

Hi @Fred Erick,

The Chart macro is not very flexible, so you'll need to rearrange your table in a horizontal way.

Fred 1.pngFred 2.png

And for the second question - there are no any native filtering tools in Confluence.

So we recommend to use our app - Table Filter and Charts for Confluence.

You'll be able to create tables from spreadsheets with the help of the Table from CSV macro and filter your tables using the Table Filter macro.

The app also contains the advanced Chart from Table macro, so you'll be able to create multiple charts based on filtered tables and pivots.

Fred Erick July 2, 2020

Ok, that helps, is it possible with that app, to upload prefilled pivot tables and display them with the same filter without setting up these filter every time?

And display them in a chart?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2020

The Table from CSV macro works with the input that you've created. If you upload only prefiltered data and not the big source table, than you'll got the prefiltered result table in Confluence and you'll continue to work with it (create charts, set additional filters, etc.).

But the app was developed for users not to switch between Excel and Confluence. Our customers create big tables right in Confluence (manually or with the help of such macros as Jira Issues, Page Properties Report, etc.) or upload all the data in CSV format and set and save filters (both in the view and edit modes), create pivots, make calculations and build charts on Confluence pages.

You can play with the app on our demo server.

Fred Erick July 2, 2020

I know, but I'm getting information from a database into an excel spreadsheet and need to build a dashboard with that information and I cant connect the database to Confluence.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2020

Yeah, we often come across such use cases - that is the reason of the Table from CSV macro implementation. It's a relatively new feature added to help our customers to transfer data from external databases to Confluence.

Fred Erick July 2, 2020

I installed the try version but now I have some problems importing my xlsx file.

How can I import such a file with all its data?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xby942tikz9xu23/Dashboard_01.xlsx?dl=0

Edit: I found out, when I use the Excel macro(native macro) and use my excel spreadsheet with it, now I see the charts of the spreadsheet in Confluence, is that because of your add on?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2020

I've seen the file - it's a .xlsx file with several pivots, graphs and pages as well. 

Our app allows you to upload raw information from the external database directly to Confluence - you'll get one big table from the source CSV file. All the filters and pivots are set in Confluence, you are not working with Excel at all.

If you still prefer to do all the manipulations in Excel and show only the result graphs to your colleagues, there is a workaround to save your Excel graphs as images and embed them on Confluence pages.

What concerns the native Excel macro, we haven't received any user reports about similar situations. The app is not related to any of out-of-the-box Confluence macros. I've also checked you case in our test environment (Confluence Server 7.5.0): I see the Excel charts both with the installed and deinstalled app.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events