Low visibility of content posted by team members

Nikhil_Gupta November 13, 2018

Hi, I am a new user of Confluence. I feel there is a lot of content posted on our Confluence site but it is all scattered and there is no "SiteMap" kind of thing which can be used to locate what I need. In addition to this, one document in its different versions or forms may be posted in different places. This maybe because people don't know if that thing already exists or not or whether an incremental change would suffice or not.

Another challenge is to remember/relocate a link which I have discovered with having very useful stuff. If I have to save the links on the local system then it defeats the purpose of having a Confluence site. 

Please suggest some strategy.

Thanks,

Niks

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2018

Hello Niks and welcome to the Community!

Congratulation on starting your documentation journey with Confluence! As you have already mentioned, there is a lot to Confluence and without a solid and easy to use structure, your data can quickly become lost or buried.

There are multiple different ways to manage content within Confluence and there is no silver bullet on how each company should manage their content. The best practice would be to understand the tool and have a solid understand of how your company operates to find the perfect balance between the two. With this said, there is multiple articles and training available for new users, such as yourself, to better understand the capabilities of Confluence. I would suggest the following:

Confluence Content Management (Atlassian University Free course)

Confluence 101: organize your work in spaces

Become a Confluence Whiz Kid: Organized Spaces and Beautiful Pages - Atlassian Summit U.S. 2017

These would be a good start to understand what the tool is capable of and a starter guide on how to structure some of your data. Along with this there are labels that allow your users to label pages making them easier to search and discover:

Use Labels to Organize your Content

Use Labels to Categorize Spaces

If you still find you need additional assistance, there are Atlassian Partners to help you along your journey. You can find out more about the Partners at Atlassian Partners.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events