How to "edit" a numbered list?

Donia July 21, 2021

Hi all, 

I hope someone will have a solution for my numbered list issue.

Here is what I want to do when writing steps in a user guide:

1. do this step 1

2. do this step 2

3. do this step 3

[I put image/table/note... here]

4. do this step 4

5. do this step 5

But that's what I get in Confluence: 

1. do this step 1

2. do this step 2

3. do this step 3

[I put image/table/note... here]

1. do this step 4

2. do this step 5

So, how can I have a numbered list with "personalized start number" if you can see what I mean?

Thanks a lot!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Hello @Donia 

In order to keep the numbering of the list, you need to press 'SHIFT + ENTER'; this will add a new line below a number where you can enter additional text/ note or image. But this will not allow you to add a table. Table would be added at the end of the list.

Please refer to the screenshot, capturing this use case.

Also, there is an open issue with Atlassian for this use case - CONFCLOUD-7794

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Confluence_List.JPG

0 votes
Adam Saunders
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2024

Shift + ENTER adds the space for text, but when I try to insert a table, the table goes to the bottom of the list and is not inserted in the blank space where expected.

0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2021

Hello @Donia 

It does work for me and I tried it again with success.

In the numbered list, when you reach the point where you need to add the Note, pres 'Shift+Enter', and it will insert a line without the number. You can either add the note at this time or simply hit 'Enter', which would continue the numbered list and you can come back to this blank line later to add the text for the note.

Please refer to the below screenshot.

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any follow up questions.

Numbered list.JPG

Donia August 24, 2021

Thanks @Gaurav 

But I meant this by "note" ... 

note - numbered list.png

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2021

Hello @Donia 

I checked and currently, there is no option to include any panels (note panel or any other) in between the numbered list.

If you wish to focus on the note, you can add that as a status, which will change the text and background colour.

Numbered List.JPG

Donia August 25, 2021

Nice idea @Gaurav :)

But I'd rather prefer to use a "manual" numbered list while keeping the note panel.

Thanks again !

0 votes
Donia July 23, 2021

That's amazing @Gaurav !

It actually helps a lot

I'll try to dig in this "issues section" before posting my next questions here

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2021

Thanks @Donia glad that it helped :)

Donia August 24, 2021

Hi @Gaurav 

Back again with the same issue...

Everything was ok untill I tried to insert a Note in a  numbered list. The Shift+Enter didn't work for me. 

Is there any solution plz ?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events