how to migrate clearquest to jira ?

vinay.mr@volvo.com November 18, 2011

hi,

i want my migrate my existing projects from clear quest to jira... as i have already tried to migrate with CSV format which is not appropriate nor mapping has been done in JIRA...

can somebody please suggest me how to do that ?

4 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2012

Atlassian just released a ClearQuest to JIRA Migration cookbook that guides evaluators through the prototype setup. It includes best practices on Proof-of-Concept planning and execution, data migration, production approval process and points to relevant add-ons and Experts that can help.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ENTERPRISE/JIRA+Cookbook+-+Migration+off+IBM+Rational+ClearQuest

It doesn't provide instructions how to sync the two but refers to Experts who could help with a customized interface.

David Di Blasio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2015
0 votes
Kiran s December 2, 2013

VInay were you able to export CSV data to Jira? I am in the same boat and looking for some advice. Did't you have to parse the CSV to the Jira import format. I am reading through this https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+From+CSV and looks like I need to write a scipt to prepare the csv for upload. What about 1-2-1 mapping was it easy or you had to workaround that?

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2011

We have had to import data from a number of different sources (Siebel, TFS, Teamtrack, foxbugs, HP Quality Center, turnover, but not clearquest) either as a one time process or as part of a conversion or continuously to share data between systems. It come down to a few considerations:

1. What does the current system support for export? CSV? database access? API or remote API?
  2. One time only (switch over)? Look for easiest path, product specific importer if available, otherwise see if CSV import is possible, or other (see 3)
  3. Continuous conversion or extended migration or complex situations not handled by 1. JIRA Command Line Interface and similar scripting provides the most flexibility and can cover most situations (except for 5) with a cost factor - the more you want to cover, the more expensive it will be.
  4. How critical is all the data? Can some be left behind or handled specially. Drop what isn't absolutely necessary for the future to make it easier and less costly to convert.
  5. Recognize the limitations of the new system - some things just will not carry over to JIRA and/or will be lost in translation. Identify those and educate appropriately.
vinay.mr@volvo.com November 20, 2011

Hi bob,

thanks for your quick reply. as i commneted in nic reply.. whatever the exort from the clearquest in csv format contains the workflow and fields of it to migrate to JIRA.. Bob, kindly add any comments if you want to share with us .

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2011

Workflow is a separate problem from issue data. There is little support for automating this in general. Moving to a new system is an opportunity to revisit your existing workflow and recognize improvements or differences needed as a result of the new capabilities. I would recommend understanding current workflow and mapping to an improved version in the new system. In one of our cases, we adjusted the workflow on the originating system as well as JIRA to more closely align them - this is more important for dynamic situations.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2011

That's quite a wide-open question as it all depends on what your data looks like. CSV is good for bringing in flat records, but obviously, your data includes other stuff (history? attachments?). On top of that, there is some flexibility in Clearquest and you could easily have configured all sorts of things in there which you'll need to think about.

You'll need to tell us what you want to import and how you want to map the data into Jira. Is there a natural structure in your data that will work in Jira's Project/issue/sub-task structure? Does it need to be that shape? And so on.

There's a few ways to get data into Jira - SOAP, Jelly scripts, Importers from Atlassian (inc CSV) or 3rd parties, code, xml hacking, or SQL imports. But before you can come up with a strategy, you'll need the analysis of the existing data and what you want to end up with.

Hi nic,

Thanks for your reply.. i have a csv file from clearquest which contains the workflow not any attachments nor history which i am not interested as of now.. only i am concerned about the importing of workflow and fields of it.

please suggest me which is the best way to approach as it is one time approach of migration ?

i addition to that , let me know what can we export in csv format so that we can import cleary(or almost) into JIRA ?

regards

vinay

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2011

Umm, how do you represent a workflow in CSV? A workflow is a set of states tied together with transitions, and although Jira supports the import of workflow XML, if you want to convert your CSV to that XML, it's going to take a lot more work than it would to simply do the workflow by hand.

Fields are a little more easy to split out - get the list, work out some Jelly or CLI commands to create them and generate that.

Edit - it's just occurred to me that you seem to be saying "workflow" when you might mean "issues" - a workflow is a process, an issue is something that needs to be tracked or done. CSV is fine for importing the core of issues - you should have one line in there per Issue and each column represents a field. If you really do mean you are importing issues, then you'll need to explain why you think the current CSV importer doesn't work for you.

nic,

i was told by the clearquest team that export contains the workflow(contains the states and transitions) , fields and issues as well,

At present what best can we export from the clear quest to jira ?. so that i can ask the same from them..

vinay

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2011

Ok, so it contains everything. The problem is that it's probably going to be useless unless you can decide what you want to do with it, and you'll need to know how to read it. Then you'll need to translate that into something Jira can read.

A big question is exactly what you want to import. Because that will enable you to decide on the best way to do it. I very much doubt the Clearquest CSV for workflow is of any use to Jira (and you'll need to transform it no matter what).

What ever you do, you are going to have to analyse what is coming out of Clearquest so that you can decide what to do with it. Unless Clearquest can give you the workflow in an OS-Workflow xml format. (Or the whole lot as a Jira backup style file, which I seriously doubt)

Kiran s December 2, 2013

VInay were you able to export CSV data to Jira? I am in the same boat and looking for some advice. Did't you have to parse the CSV to the Jira import format. I am reading through this https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+From+CSV and looks like I need to write a scipt to prepare the csv for upload. What about 1-2-1 mapping was it easy or you had to workaround that?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events