We would like to move to Jira/Xray for defect and test repo management, using RQM/RTC

Crash Override January 3, 2019

HI - 

We have been a company using RQM/RTC for a long time and now would like to move to Jira/Xray. Though we are excited about the change, would not like to loose or or leave behind - any of our test case data over the transition. Have anyone faced the same challenge and if there are any best practices or examples of what steps/process/tools to do the migration?? I am specifically worried about test case/test scripts migration from RQM to Jira/Xray and would like to move the overall test bed and history if possible??

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
venkatesh.prasad@ikea.com February 25, 2019

Nop, this is not as easy as said.

I have the same problem here and there seems to be tons of issues/challenges doing it. We have RTC,RQM,RDNG. Release and Change requests from RTC and connected with Test Cases and TCERS from RQM and Requirements from RDNG. All in all, we realized that its not possible to take everything from one tool to another as they are two different tools working in different ways.
I am 100% sure you won't be able to migrate everything from RQM to Jira in terms of links, attachments, history, etc. Though csv importer has the attachments importing option and the sub-tasks option for links, you will end up leaving most of these in RQM and come to Jira.

From RQM, you will be able to export the test steps and step results, but we cannot import it to Jira as x-ray does not have that option of applying step results. X-ray works differently than RQM. Xray has Test, Test Execution, Test Sets and Test Plan. When we compare it with rqm, it would be test script for test, test plan to test plan, test case results to test execution and test suits to test sets.

According to my analysis so far (unless someone proves me wrong), we will have to do a basic migration by considering as much data as possible which both the tools can export/import. Once this is done, we then change the way we work in Jira after we migrate there. We will just have to keep the RQM up and running in the read only mode for 6 months or so untill we have built sufficient data in Jira for Jira to handle historic data and then decommission RQM.

My point of view : Switching from one tool to another is not a good option considering the complications and the data loss, unless you have real good benefits.

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2019

Hi @Crash Override , venkatesh.prasad@ikea.com ,

to make it clear, switching from one tool to another tool is not something straightforward. Migrating data can be quite complex; however, it all depends on what you want to migrate. If you want to migrate just test cases, for example, it can be "quite simple". In the other hand, if you want to migrate "all" your stuff, it can be a project to take a considerable amount of time/resources.

Most of the times you're not just migrating from one tool to another; you may also be "migrating" (i.e. "change) the way of working.

Personally, I never recommend migrating all data as-is, for several important reasons (just to name a few):

• tools are different, so they have different capabilities that sometimes are hard to match
  • you may be migrating useless data that just will overload the new tool
  • and for me, one of the most important ones, is that you're not supposed to work probably in the same way in the "new tool". For example, if you come from a "legacy" tool with tons of features, tons of reports, highly tailored for waterfall projects and then you start using Jira, you'll see that they're different.. because they're supposed to be.

My overall recommendation would be to first of all think on how you want your teams to work (people first over tools, is one of Agile principles right?). Then, you can choose the best tool and configure it/use it in a way that fits your needs. If you see that the tool is adding more than needed, then probably it's best to think again.. does it lack something? Well, do you really need that feature X?

Whenever migrating from a dedicated TM solution to Jira, you can, as you've said, keep the "old tool" is read-only mode for some time and keep there projects that won't have new developments. New projects can start being used in the new tool (such as Xray on top of Jira) or any other on-going projects that may be relevant.

Note: if you want, you may try to reach Xray support team to check out if they can point you to some partner that has done that migration in the past (https://jira.xpand-it.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/2

Regards,

Sergio

0 votes
Inês Silva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2019

Hi,

We don't have a specific migration tool for RQM. However, Xray provides a built-in Test Case Importer that you can use in order to import manual tests from a CSV file. As long as you are able to export your RQM tests to CSV you can use that process quite easily.

More info http://confluence.xpand-addons.com/display/XRAY/Importing+Manual+Tests+using+Test+Case+Importer].

Best Regards,

Xray Team

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events