zephyr: Closed Test Cases, it is always possible to edit the Test Details

Softcom November 14, 2012

If a test case is reviewed, I use the Workflow to close it. At this point it schould not be possible to change the content any more.

The Test case cannot be edited but it is always possible to add Test Steps.

Is it possible to avoid to change the Test Detail section of closed Test case?

Thanks,

Olivier

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

Hi Olivier,

At this point Zephyr for JIRA isn't designed to work with the JIRA workflow. Basically, we are currently talking internally about how workflow properties would be applied to testcases.

Is the use case you described, it sounds like you want a workflow stage where the testcase can't be edited anymore. Now is that edit limitation applied to the whole testcase? Is there a seperate stage where the testcase details can be locked down but test steps can still be edited?

Other questions come up here: If a testcase is closed, can it still be exectuted? If so, is there a stage where it can't be edited or executed anymore?

And in all actuallity, we'd love to hear how you would design the workflow for a testcase. What would your workflow look like?

So, Olivier and anyone else who is reading this, please let us know how a testcase workflow would work in your world.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Softcom November 19, 2012

Hi Chris

Actually we are usting the workflow to validate the content of the testcase. After the testcase has been reviewed and validated, we don't wont to be able to change the content --> Status: closed.

The test case is assign to a Test Cycle. The test cycle is executed in a test session.

If we produce a new release, the Test Cycle is cloned into the new release. In this new release the test case must not be modified because it is already used in previous Test Cycle. The testcase must be cloned before it can be modified.

In general: wenn the testcase has been executed, the testcase cannot be modified or the testcase must be shows in the test cycle as it was wenn the testcase was execuded.

Actually I execute a testcase in Release 1.0.0 - test cycle User Management. I clone test cycle User Management in Release 1.1.0. I modify the testcase for the version 1.1.0.
--> I lost the test step (Test Detail) of the version 1.0.0.

How to keep the history of the test case witin the test cycle executions?

Best regards,

Olivier

Sergey S Makeenkov March 20, 2013

Hi Chris.

When i create test case it has Status:Open and asignee to reviewer.

After the test case has been reviewed than i set Status:Actual, In Progress, To testing mean that test case is actual and must be execute more and more or Status:Reopen and asignee to reporter mean that test must be fixed.

When test case will be not actual than we set Staus:Closed and never used it.

Rich Cole October 7, 2020

We should also have the ability to lock a Test Execution Cycle so that it can be retained as a Test Article for Formal Testing. Or maybe archive the Test Cycle and hide it from view?  We would also like to have the ability to Digitally Sign a Test Case when it is ran as part of a Formal Qualification Test. We need a signature capability for the Executor, Observer, and the Quality Assurance monitor.

2 votes
Philipp Klauser September 18, 2014

Our workflow looks like this (we already use Zephyr, but only in not relevant areas...)

image2014-9-19 7:48:36.png

What we desperately need:

• Ability to "lock" testcase in status "Testready", "To be executed" and "on hold"
    Although the jira.issue.editable property of the status is set so FALSE, teststeps can be edited, added, deleted...
  • Kind of a magic functionality (f.e. a job which runs once a day) which sets testcases back from "to be executed" to "testready" if all pending test executions are done (no execution waiting in status "unexecuted".
  • Shaping of testcycles (creating testcycles, adding/deleting testcases): Restricted to project admins!
  • If the specified version of a testcycle is released: No more adding/deleting of testcases to the testcycle!
  • Testcase execution: Overall status has ALWAYS to reflect the status of the teststeps. It's a nightmare having 4 steps on "green", one one "red" and the overall status on green... By looking on the testcycle (-gadgets, execution navigator and reports) everything seems ok (because you see only the level of the testcase execution, but...

If you can't tackle the points above you won't ever have a compliant test suite.

The mentioned points are absolute basics in QA and every audit will fail using Zephyr/JIRA for SW QA.

Philipp

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events