work log form: default start time

Ariadne IT13374030156 February 5, 2013

I am a little bit confused by the ictime startTime management.

If I use the form from the "Log Work" link on top of the page I see that a start date is filled as default without a start time. that's ok! and it's congruent with the separate input fields for start and end times.

But if I click on the same function inside the issue visualisation (on the '+' aside My Last Work Log, for instance) the start date is filled with the current date AND the current time. So I have to modify this time using the popup and then insert the same time as start time in the field below. It appears odd to me.. and less usable.

Am I using these interface in a wrong way?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tobias Reibling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

Hi Ariadne,

By default, the date field for JIRA work logs is a date-time field, and JIRA pre-populates it with the current date/time at this moment. This is the way JIRA stores it in the database and we have to save it this way to remain compatible. The time value in this field is not used by ictime and has no relevance for ictime. The only reason - from an ictime point of view - to modify this field is if you want to change the date. However, that the time in this field is not relevant for ictime does not mean that other functionality like e.g. a Gantt chart does not use it, but this is out of our scope and we do not change JIRA behaviour here.

If you log you work with a start/end time in ictime (JIRA does not support that) you are using a functionality that saves data completely apart from the JIRA work log. For this reason, it does not make sense to use the time value from the JIRA date to use it as ictime start time.

The difference of interfaces has the simple reason that one mask replaces the JIRA work log mask at the places where you would usually get it, and we wanted to keep this as close to the original as possible. The other masks are specific ictime masks where we did some other changes anyway.

However, if this confuses people, we might consider to change the display and take away the time.

Best regards

Tobias

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events